Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 mustang with a 302 seems to consume quiet a bit of oil. I never seen it smoke but i suppose it does. I've driven 300 miles straight, with the car needed no oil. When i drive it in the city, and "get on it" every now or then, i start needing oil. What exactly does this mean? I want to rebuilt this engine, but not sure when i will ahve the funds. Runs great however.

67 C4, (1971 302 block), daily driver.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Good question. I have the same problem... I suspect a leaky gasket or seal. I really don't know, though. I am awaiting answers to this question also.

·
Registered
35,308 Posts
I think you'll find many of us with the same "problem". What's happening is that around town driving, especially of a slightly aggressive nature, results in increased cylinder blow-by past the rings, as well as more frequent high manifold vacuum situations during decelleration, which increases oil consumption. Short trips also aggravate this. Nice steady highway drives with light loads are good for low oil consumption.

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
So, it's to b expected with our carbureted engines? Because my girlfriend's 1996 Miustang doesn't burn a drop of oil in 3000 miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts