Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I have the following motor, only a few hundred miles on it (read my flip flop thread!!)

http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html?topic=specs&pc_id=37

I opted for the lower priced engine with the modified cast heads. (has 2.02 and 1.6 valves).

With my insurance proceeds I am contemplating moving up to a better breathing head, and Aluminum gives me the potential to run lower octane gas as well.

What would folks recommend? I would like to know exactly what to buy to just drop this in. I would hope I wouldn't need new pushrods, but would need some roller rockers, Heads with valves assembled...head gaskets... What else?

I presume since my heads have large valves that I have reliefs in my pistons....dunno tho. I want to keep my CR on the low end, and the current setup is advertised as 9.5:1. I don't want to go higher.

Thanks in advance. BTW, with the cast heads the engine dyno'd at 330HP 380Tq, I would hope heads get me well above 350Hp. Running Mass Flo EFI and Hedman long tube headers with 2.5" exhause with X pipe and magnaflows.

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, if I go with AFR 185's, what do I need to buy with them to bolt em' up (and upgrade to roller rockers).

Which rockers? Need pushrod guides? A adjustable pushrod to measure?

Would like to just fire off an order and have it all arrive. Where should I buy those heads?

Thanks. Chris

·
Registered
576 Posts
To Mix it up, I have edel performer RPMs on my 302. Had em for about 10 months. Haven't run them yet though. :p

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Run a search on your topic and you will discover a wealth of info. this was the topic of a post about a week ago. Trick Flow has a new head out that comes with CNC factory porting which has good flow numbers. No matter what head you put on, you must match the cam to the flow numbers of the head. Otherwise, you are largely wasting your money and in fact may degrade the peformance. The, if you have a factory intake, you're choking off the heads.

The engine is no more than an air pump. The cam is the brain that tells it when to inhale, how long to hold it, and when to exhale. The heads are the lungs, and the intake would be the nose/mouth. You can see that they all work together and the efficiency is the product of the synergy of the three. Whatever you do to one of these three, requires some adjustment of the remaining two. Also, if you increase the inhale side,you need to have a corresponding ability to exhale the additional air - upgrading manifolds to headers, the diameter of the exhaust system from 2 inch to 2.25 or 2.5 inch - from single to dual pipes and mufflers. It's all a package deal.

Generlly, my top three choices are, 1) AFR 2) Trickflow 3) Brodix

good luck.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The AFR's can be bought in bare form, or fully assembled. The fully assembled ones will already have guide plates, valves and valve springs installed.

Figure out what cam you'll ultimately run and be sure you get the heads with adequate springs for the lift of your cam.

There are a billion choices in roller rockers these days. While I have no experience with them, I hear nothing but good things about the Scorpion rockers, which make for a good "economy minded" rocker. Harland Sharpe also has a pretty reasonably priced rocker (what I'm running on my 289). You can go totally overboard, like I did with my 408, and go all the way up to the Crane Golds, but they are expensive and probably overkill or most applications (including mine *LOL*).

Don't even think about push rods until after you have your heads and rockers. You need to measure for correct fit. The additional shipping and inevitable delay are really worth having it right the first time. When you DO know the length, you'll need hardened pushrods. I like the single piece ones from Comp Cams. You don't have to worry about a tip breaking off with them, and they're about the same price.

The only knock on AFR is the crappy studs they come with. I highly recommend ordering some ARP studs and replacing them, right off the bat.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Do you know what size the combustion chambers are on those heads??? Just asking because if they are 60cc or less and you want to sell them when you get your fancy schmancy alum. heads then let me know. haha. The name calling is purely out of jelousy.

Like these guys I have heard good things about the afr 185s but would also look into canfields. I have read about some pretty nice results with good canfield heads.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
When I was searching for my cyclinder head I discovered that they are all pretty much the same. Unless you're building a motor to get the max HP then it really won't matter which head you choose. i went with the TFS track heat head because of price and they flowed almost the exact same as the AFR heads but the AFR heads come CNC ported to get those flow numbers. I also like the canted valve design of the TFS heads, just like the boss 302 heads. Plus the TFS heads where the cheapest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts