Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 mustang convertible and I am contemplating installing the new upholstery and seat foams myself. Anyone have any good videos or links to videos that have pointers to help me through this process.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Get some quality hog ring pliers. Let everything sit our in the sun for a while to soften up before you start installing. Sorry but I got rid of my links once I was done with my seats. I added some closed cell foam under the butt for a little better support. It was a mild PITA but they turned out great IMO.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
You can do it. Buy some small bolt cutters to cut the hog rings. It’s easier on your hands than side cutters. And you need to save your hands as much as you can. It’s really tough on your hands, but doable.Did I say it was tough on your hands...

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I remember a Mustang magazine decades ago that used indoor outdoor carpet pieces instead of the original burlap to cover the seat springs. They also added foam instead of replacing to regain seat contour. That is what I did. Been about 30 years now. Things were great until I used Simple Green full strength to clean. They got sticky after that. Time to redo them.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
It is possible to save the cushions and add bolstering. But since your just down the road in CC, I would recommend new foam. The Texas sun and coastal humidity make for the 50 year old funky smell, install new foam, seat upholstery and carpet can really spruce it up quickly to both eye and nose...plus the new covers will fit nice and tight with new cushions. I’ve done a few sets, let me know if you have questions. I’ll tell you what I know....

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
We did new foam under relatively new covers front and back. My wife headed up the interior and was able to do it with You Tube clips. I don’t think they were even Mustang specific. She’s got basic mechanic skills, it’s not difficult. The hard part for her was some of the hand strength required for stretching the covers while applying the rings.

·
Premium Member
7,042 Posts
HOT HOT August days are great to lay out the upholstery and let it get hot, which will soften it, and make it easier to pull and stretch.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
974 Posts

·
Dimples
4,825 Posts
Upholstery is totally do-able. It sucks, but there’s not a lot of magical technique to it. Using the good hog ring pliers from NPD will do a lot to make it less painful. Literally.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Not much to say that hasn’t already been said. I was nervous, but it wasn’t nearly as difficult as I expected. Take your time, and pull things tight (if you’re like me, tighter than you thought you would). I actually had my wife help me - she would put the hog rings in while I held the upholstery tight. Worked out well for us.

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289, TKO 5-spd, EFI, 4-discs, TCP coilovers
216 Posts
I did the entire re-upholstery myself, except for the headliner, so it can be done by a hobbyist / novice with no experience. I am fairly pleased how mine turned out (IMHO). I purchased a complete TMI Sport 2 kit, which includes replacement foam, plus the carpet, side panels and door panels. The kit was pretty well made and went together nicely.

I went all the way down to bare metal and repainted the frames. There were hundreds and hundreds of rusty old hog rings to remove, so some high leverage bolt cutters is good advice (above). You'll need a heat gun, some silicone spray and a good set of hog ring pliers (straight, angled and curved). Be sure to save the old attachment rods, as these don't come in the kit and you'll need them. Once the foam is secured, stretching the vinyl over it for a snug fit can be hard work (sometimes for two people above). The old burlap from my car really stunk, so I used some adhesive-backed felt as a replacement. This worked pretty well, in that it self-stuck to the frame and provided a little additional padding.

20190108_200702.jpg 20190126_134447.jpg 20190202_132117.jpg 20190203_101745.jpg 20190803_133718.jpg 20190301_130759.jpg 20190304_071237.jpg 20190304_071138.jpg 20190304_071341.jpg 20200223_154607_Adj.jpg

Good luck. This can be a very satisfying project if you take your time and work carefully.

·
Registered
735 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the entire re-upholstery myself, except for the headliner, so it can be done by a hobbyist / novice with no experience. I am fairly pleased how mine turned out (IMHO). I purchased a complete TMI Sport 2 kit, which includes replacement foam, plus the carpet, side panels and door panels. The kit was pretty well made and went together nicely.

I went all the way down to bare metal and repainted the frames. There were hundreds and hundreds of rusty old hog rings to remove, so some high leverage bolt cutters is good advice (above). You'll need a heat gun, some silicone spray and a good set of hog ring pliers (straight, angled and curved). Be sure to save the old attachment rods, as these don't come in the kit and you'll need them. Once the foam is secured, stretching the vinyl over it for a snug fit can be hard work (sometimes for two people above). The old burlap from my car really stunk, so I used some adhesive-backed felt as a replacement. This worked pretty well, in that it self-stuck to the frame and provided a little additional padding.

View attachment 763568 View attachment 763569 View attachment 763570 View attachment 763571 View attachment 763572 View attachment 763574 View attachment 763576 View attachment 763575 View attachment 763577 View attachment 763578

Good luck. This can be a very satisfying project if you take your time and work carefully.

Seats look quite good

·
Registered
386 Posts
I’m in the middle of it now, it takes some labor to do it right, but not terrible. This page was helpful and some general YouTube videos.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just did mine earlier this year - two problems were bigger than I expected - first was rust and cracking in my frame, the second was the difficulty I had in doing the seat base, but I was using sport seat covers, which have a deeper bolster (side).

Is this rusty seat frame safe?

·
Super Moderator
10,020 Posts
Replace the foam and burlap, that’s where the funky, Old Car Smell, comes from when you look into old cars.

·
Registered
591 Posts
...foam and burlap, that’s where the funky, Old Car Smell, comes from when you look into old cars.
Ahhhhhhh, I must confess to actually liking that smell. It brings me back in time and smells "vintage". New cars don't have that kind of funk.

Reactions: BigKoppa and Israel
1 - 20 of 38 Posts