Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,180 Posts
Nasty, lol.

Every time I peek into an old car and smelled that I always wondered why.

No matter how nice the car looked, it smelled funky. It wasn’t until l read a magazine article on this that I swore I replace Everything.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Harbor Freight has 10" bolt cutters for like $15, get them. This job is hard on the hands and anything you can do too relieve some of it is worth it in my book.

When stretching the vinyl over the seat corners use a folded garbage bags to eliminate a lot of the friction you'll have to overcome. You don't want to open a seam by pulling too hard.

My installation had three listing wires; one in the vinyl cover, one in the deluxe foam buns and one on the seat springs. The best way to get the sculpted contours of the original seat is to hog ring the listing rod in the cover to the one on the springs. Easier said than done. Trying to do all that in one go, it was just too difficult to get it all clinched together and sitting smooth. What I did was first secure the listing wire very tightly in place on the seat springs, then hog ring the wire in the deluxe buns tightly to the first listing wire. When securing the cover to the seat its a little easier to hog ring the cover to the seat structure if you don't have to be overly concerned with getting the ring to bite all the way down to the seat springs. I did it this way on the second cover and the sculpturing is much better than the first.

Gregg

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Yep.
Before...
20200321_225441.jpg

After...
20200414_124145.jpg

Before...
20200321_223312.jpg

After...
20200428_055123.jpg

Worth every penny...
20200429_230959.jpg

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,199 Posts
For those of you who have done the Deluxe seats, can you have a look at my list to see if I have included everything. Right now I have Standard interior but eventually would like to upgrade to deluxe. Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
Looks right to me. Just a thought, if you’re going to drive the car a bunch, you might look into the Sport or Sport II seats for the additional bolster. I did the original Sport for some extra support while still appearing correct to most eyes.

Reactions: Caper50

·
Super Moderator
10,180 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
989 Posts
I ran out of Hog rings and needed just like 10-15 more, I went to an upholstery shop to get more. I might have used more then needed in some places, wish I would have ordered another bag of hog rings since so cheap. Not sure if anyone else ran into that.

Reactions: 2+2=GT350

·
Registered
905 Posts
Another tip regarding locating the holes for the various hardware attaching screws and bolts.

Before you put the new vinyl on, take the time to put the screws and bolts back into the bare frame in the correct locations while you have access to the screw and bolt holes in the frames. Install the screws and bolts just enough to keep them from coming out or tearing the vinyl as you pull it tight.

Once the covers are on and installed to your liking, you can now see the heads of the screws and bolts sticking up against the vinyl. From there use a small sharp razor to cut slits in the vinyl in the exact location of the holes using the heads of the screws and bolts as your guide.

Takes the guess work out of finding the holes with an awl or sharp punch and makes for a much neater hole around the screws and bolts. Works great on headliner installs as well.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Got some nice upholstery jobs here! It is one of those jobs you learn from your first seat. The last one I did was definitely easier than the first one!

+1 on the plastic sheet under the upholstery so it slides over the foam smoothly.

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289, TKO 5-spd, EFI, 4-discs, TCP coilovers
263 Posts
Got some nice upholstery jobs here! It is one of those jobs you learn from your first seat. The last one I did was definitely easier than the first one!

+1 on the plastic sheet under the upholstery so it slides over the foam smoothly.
+2 on the plastic sheet, and also spray a little silicone spray on the plastic sheet. There are some really tight corners to get around.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
For those of you who have done the Deluxe seats, can you have a look at my list to see if I have included everything. Right now I have Standard interior but eventually would like to upgrade to deluxe. Thanks
I would consider having new seat pivot washers and cotter pins, some extra 1 inch foam for little places where hog rings push the inside of the upholstery, some extra seat back / door panel spring clips, spray adhesive if you will be doing the kick panel carpet and the interior quarter upholstery, and a can of the appropriate color (aqua in your case) interior spray for the seat pivot plastic covers, maybe new windlace and new stainless screws for a total new look.
Then you'll want the chrome or stainless interior quarter trim caps, the Deluxe door panels and stainless trim, cups, inserts, pistol grip door handles, woodgrain glove box, instrument bezel, steering wheel....

Reactions: Caper50

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I ran out of Hog rings and needed just like 10-15 more, I went to an upholstery shop to get more. I might have used more then needed in some places, wish I would have ordered another bag of hog rings since so cheap. Not sure if anyone else ran into that.
Same here on running short on hog rings. So, I bought a box of 1,000 for pretty cheap off amazon. Now I can hog ring til I die....

Reactions: RyanSterling966

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did my seats a few years ago and would not hesitate to do it again. I think there were a few times where my wife and I were stretching the cover while my young daughter set the hog rings. If you have an extra set of hands around you can do it!

·
Premium Member
12,208 Posts
You certainly don't want to run short of hog rings and have to run down to the auto parts store for more. $11.50 for 20 of them is highway robbery!
You can get 1000 of them for $15 on Amazon.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just had to go to my local parts store for more hog rings this morning, I ran short about halfway through my last seat - did the rear first, then the front seats. Luckily he can get some for only $.02 each! So I ordered 100 more, so I have plenty in case I miss, which I have done a lot so far.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Instead of replacing the burlap with well...... burlap. I use thin canvas instead, typically in black and marine grade. It doesn't degrade the same way and is resistant to moisture etc. It's also a lot stronger and thus helps the springs work together and spread the load. I also bought a cheap steamer off of amazon when I did mine. Was great for fighting those last wrinkles, and now I use it to freshen up my suits!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts