Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a lot of metal grit in the bottom of the pan. I found the source to be the timing chain grinding up against the block behind the cam gear. It gound about an 1/8 of metal off the block. All that metal grinding grit worked it's way through the motor, almost seized the oil pump, destroyed the lifters, made a total mess of the crank. I'm not sure why the timing chain was able to hit the block. It's a double roller gear and chain, I double checked it and it is the correct part for a 351W. Anyone ever see this type of problem before?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Mustangs Plus had a write up about their "Colt 351" car... in essense putting a 351W in with all the doodads... roller everything.... BUT if I'm not mistaken, they had the same issue with the double roller chain that you did... but they caught it before the engine was together... a quick run through their site didn't give any info, but I'll be sure to check out my other paper things they sent out and see if I can find out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I saw that article also. I believe they went with a Ford Racing timing chain set. there was also another problem with intake gaskets. they closed off a small amount of the intake inlet. again Ford Racing for the part.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
It had to do withe the timing chain sprocket's equivalent of backspacing

this will definitely ruin any engine. :(

always make sure to check moving part clearances....
sorry to hear about the mishap...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts