Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, it's not a room full of politicians! My a/c has been disconnected, heater works great, but I have hot air blowing from under the dash all the time. Even when the blower is turned off. What can I do to stop it temporarily til I can get the a/c redone? It doesn't bother me in the winter, and it's not too hot yet (95 degrees is not hot in Texas)but the cooler weather is not going to last forever, and a/c surgery is out of the question for now. By the way, I searched the forum and didn't find any relevant info. Maybe I was looking for the wrong topic. Thanks in advance.Ellen

·
Registered
570 Posts
If You are sure that it is blowing from the heater/ac fan I suppose it could be simply unplugged or fuse removed. Sometimes there are mysterious holes in the firewall that are letting in the hot air as well, I've noticed around a lot of speedo grommets that they are usally not seated firmly or a PO has installed something requiring wiring passing thru the firewall and did a shabby job of sealing the hole if at all. Just a thought. Good luck on the remedy!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I agree..with the last post. The heat is coming from the hot water in your heater core and the heater box most likely having old seals and simply leaking radiant heat. The best answer is to install a valve on the inflow line to the heater core. They are available in either mechanical or vacuum operated versions. I picked up a vacuum type at Autozone and put it in...running the vacuum off a carb port. It helped tremendously.

G

·
0 Posts
Jane, the easiest fix for now is to bypass the heater. Remove the heater hose from the intake manifold fitting, cut the heater hose a foot from the water pump, and hook the freshly cut end back onto the intake manifold fitting. No more heat in the car! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts