Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again in response to m smith and the originality of a conv. back window. The date of manufacturer for the rear window ( and a very good indicator of the date of the top as well) can be found stamped in the lower corner of the window itself. Federal law mandated that this be done so there should be no exceptions. Normally, the window did not last as long as the tops and on occasion one will find an original top with a replacement window, but over the years I do not remember seeing an original window with a replacement top. Check out your window and maybe that will help in your determination of originality. I hope that others will join in this discussion and post some images of what an original rear window date stamp looks like - probably few of us have had the pleasure of a good look at this part of Mustang history.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for that info, murf.... I will check it out and take a picture if I find that code. I'll also take a pic of that Ford Employee parking decal.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
As a follow up from the other thread - I only made the observation about the repainting as the engine and compartment appear to have been repainted and the exterior paint appeared to cover the lower pinch welds and not have the black out.

The convertible top strip seems to be very high (indicator that the top had been redone at some point) and the wheel lip moldings were not an option

Also , on the top, check the finish/metal that the zipper and the snap are made of.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I sure appreciate the expertise you're sharing. Could you explain what you mean by "lower pinch weld".

Here is a picture of the parking decal on the rear window...

And here is the opposite lower corner (driver side) of the rear window. There is an "865" number stamped next to the manufacturer name (Vinylite) which may indicate the date you're looking for?

I'll check the zipper and take a pic, too.

Also, I'm quite sure that the rest of the top is NOT original. It was redone not too long ago from the looks of it, and the dopes used bolts that were too long to attach it in 3 out of the 4 locations. This caused some slight outward dimples on the rear quarters... GRRRRR... I have already replaced the bolts with correct length ones.

M Smith

·
Registered
455 Posts
The rear window is correct as is the zipper.Date code would be Aug 65.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the images of the window branding and the zipper. It is very rare to see these in such a preserved state. I applaud the person who replaced the top and had the foresight to retain the plexiglass back window. I think that I can speak for all hardcore people in the Mustang hobby when saying that you have one of the few remaining original factory installed rear windows. I would love to see more images of these windows if anyone reading this has one - of any year, plexiglass or the type that has the "hinge" in the middle used later. Anybody got one?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks, guys... I guess the fact that the rear window is original and has that Ford employee parking decal corroborates the "Transportation Services" DSO, even though the door tag looks like it is a reproduction.

My understanding is that "Transportation Services" is a Ford fleet code and the car may have entered service as an executive's company car. I wish I had better documentation on the car's early years.

I'll get some better shots of the zipper and rear window sometime this week and post them. The window is understandably yellowed after 44 years, but I don't dare clean it with anything other than water. Any input on that?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Thanks - again for the pictures

Transportation Services covered allot of vehicles. Trucks that hauled parts and such around the plants, buses to take visitors/tours around, office vehicles...... all sorts of purposes

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have a few comments and questions to add:
First off I understand that the original tops had BRASS zippers for the rear window, and "most" replacements have ALUMINUM zippers.
My top was supplied by ELECTRON TOP, and was special ordered with a BRASS zipper, and a BLANK window.
I have had some conversation with Charles concerning the rear windows and zipper-he sent me pictures of an NOS rear window with zipper and it had the same rawhide zipper pull shown here-I have done some digging and found that the correct color for this rawhide pull is Black Oil-Rubbed which I ordered from a supplier found online and have cut to 8" and installed on my zipper's fly.
I've got plenty left if anyone wants an 8" section let me know!
On the window:Is the "865" the date code meaning August 1965? AND does anyone know of any way a "branding" type stamp could be made to stamp these windows with? I've done some research on this and have not gotten very far....
And an observation on my part:I've seen tops with several brand names on the rear window:Vinylite, Trilite,ect, anyone know if this is possible plant specific? due to different suppliers....
And finally:What is todays 2009 concensus on how to clean the rear window without scratching or discoloring it?

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
The Kee I recently bought came standard with a plastic zipper. Had to special order a brass, adjust the length, and remove and replace the plastic... PITA...

So if you order a Kee, specifically state you want a brass... or you get a fun project...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Jeff, I'm guessing they didn't use my convertible to haul parts around or as a tour bus, but you never know! :)

6hypoconv... If it helps narrow your search, my 66 was built in Dearborn in Nov. 1965

Here's a better shot of the leather strap on the zipper pull. I'm guessing it's the original one, since the back window is original.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Over the many years that I have been interested and involved in Mustangs the subject of the branding of rear conv. windows has come up many times. Nothing definite has ever been decided about the branding since there were/are so few examples or "reference cars" from whicch to learn. I for one would love to see this thread get legs and expand with many images of the plastic rear window branding available. Not sure how to get this off of the ground but the original issue tops are soon going to be extinct. So if you are lucky enough to have the real thing please share some photos.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've got a pdf of the Vinylite logo from a '65 car I believe, but finding out exactly how a stamp could be made eludes me.....I wonder if rhe folks that make marine windows for boats and such could help? I know that the popular top manufacturers all have their own logos on the windows which is fine for the acerage driver car, but again I want mine to be concours correct original-the folks at Electron Top told me that they do their own logos and I asked who did them for them and if I personally could have a stamp made by their supplier and am waiting on a return call.....this isn't rocket science, these windows were stamped back in 1965 somehow, and all we are trying to do in 2009 is duplicate what was done some 45 years ago.

·
Registered
9,012 Posts
Most of the Vinyl lettering for the logos were Heat stamped. You would have to go from there..

·
Registered
124 Posts
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_p0-lFqUxYZo/SXoxXdQAXKI/AAAAAAAABdg/M6FMtsI3mfw/s400/DSCN9803-1aa.jpg

Here's another shot I found on the virginiaclassicmustang blog...

This one is dated April, 1965 and is manufactured by Boltaflex.

Here's the data plate on that car:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_p0-lFqUxYZo/SXoxXh5bokI/AAAAAAAABdo/lBGBZy52ZJw/s400/DSCN9804aa.jpg

·
Registered
942 Posts
Isn't the date on the window April 1964? (4-64)
And IS the date "01E" for May 1, 1964?? if so, in my opinion THIS window is NOT the original to THIS car because it was made AFTER the car and it has been my observation that date coded parts should be anywhere from 1-3 months BEFORE the cars build date.......

I agree that "we" need to find a source for a "heat stamp" to be made for these windows....I am going to statr digging again......

·
Registered
124 Posts
April comes before May, so the window was made before the car... the 1-3 month rule might not hold true for such an early production car.

Why would the car have an April 64 window if the window was in fact replaced years after the car was built?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Corvette crowd has enjoyed the availability of correctly dated rear windows for quite some time. GM used the Vinylite type just as Ford so the logo and format is PROBABLY the same. Ecklers Corvette in FL lists a top with a dated and branded window, and has them made for each order, specific to your car. It is not rocket science to do this, just takes some leg work to figure out who supplies them. I am sure that it is pretty common knowledge in the Corvette world who really is doing the branding on these windows and with minimal effort their source could be unearthed. The big hurdle it seems to me is something that could be solved right here on this and a few other Mustang forums, that being which brand of window and which brand logo appeard at what time and from what plant. It may be and probably is that there was more than one source of supply for this, Ford was known for redundant contractors, which was standard business practice during the time of manufacture of our treasured old cars. I have posted before asking for help on this subject, both here and on other forums, but no one has been forthcoming with any information. This thread has probably gone further than any previous effort to spark interest in getting the ball rolling toward a correctly dated rear window than the others, and I hope that there are more than two images of original windows that will be shared. At least an example of each year should be possible. So if you have one or know someone that does, or even may have an original please join in and just maybe something long needed will look like a business opportunity to someone who reads this. Many products have been created from threads such as this. You never know who may take up this challenge and offer us something much needed but seldom even discussed except among the real hard core of the hobby. Let us try to all contribute to this and see if it floats. Go here for a glimpse of what is possible!
http://www.ecklers.com/Prod_Views.asp?pf_id=41627

1 - 20 of 70 Posts