Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finishing a 67 Convertible and tried to put on the stainless/chrome trim that goes around the edge by the rear window. It starts at the drivers side back window and goes all the way around the well to the other side up to the passenger side back window. It's the two pieces with the snaps on them for the boot. OK, now you know which piece I mean. My question is about the new snaps I tried to put on today. they are NOT like the originals. These new type have a clip with threads on it but it wont clip on the edge because of the little lip. So you have to put the whole folded clip under the edge. This is a problem because of how tight the convertible top is up against this edge. Even when I put the top half to three quarters down to loosen it up, I can't get them in. Has anybody had these problems trying to get these trim pieces and snaps on? Seems that if I had put them on BEFORE I put on the new top, it would not have been a problem. But, doesn't matter b/c the new top is already on. ANY IDEAS? Does anyone know where to get the original type snaps and clips?

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
The original threaded fasteners that were under the lip are thin sheet metal with a hole punched then theaded for the snaps . They were held in place by double sided tape . I lost a couple during restoration . Made new ones out of 1/8" aluminum flat bar , about 1/2" wide X 3/4" long .

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right! Those are the pieces I'm talking about. I only have about 10 of them. It takes 17 to do it. Did you use the new snaps or your old ones? The new snaps are a little bigger screw so they won't work with the old type clips. Also, the new snap heads are shaped a little different than the old ones. Do you have a problem with your conv boot staying on? How did you push the clips under your conv top? I can only get about half of mine in. The top is so tight against that edge. IDEAS????????

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Took one of my old snaps to an upholstery shop and they had the original style , right size thread and length .With the top almost down you should be able to get right to them .

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'll try a shop for the right snaps. But, no even with the top down I cannot get the clip under the edge. the top is too tight against the edge. This is going to be a bear I think. Thanks for the help.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vinginia Mustang has them? I have their latest catalog and have ordered from them many times. Very good group of guys there. Top notch. I'm going to find the catalog NOW! thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts