Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am thinking of converting my 72 Mach 1 from factory 4 speed to a T-5 5 speed. I ave read article s on how to do it in the 65 - 70 cars, but have not seen one on the 71 - 73. I would be doing it with the stock clutch, factory bellhousing and using the adapter plate. Has anyone done this? Where will the shifter come out in relation to the opening in the tunnel? What shift handles have you used?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

G

·
0 Posts
In my research for my own '72 coupe, I have found that if you stay with the original linkage it should be fairly simple. However, myself I'm wanting to convert from an FMX to a T-5, require cable or hyd linkage. I have the pedal setup but not the linkage. I have also found out that the reason the convertion only referances 65 - 70 cars is the pushrod connected to the clutch pedal on those years goes through the firewall horizontally, where-as 71-73 does not. This makes it more difficult to convert the linkage to cable or hyd. on 71-73. The other thing you may have to do is fab. your own x-member. I haven't yet found anyone that makes one for our year.

Hope that helps.

Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts