Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1968 mustang fastback 4spd car came from the factory with 4 wheel drum brakes, but I am converting it to power front disc brakes using 1967 mustang factory type front calipers,rotors and Midland power brake booster and disc drum master cylinder. I am keeping the 1968 factory rear drum brake setup.

Should I order a brake line kit for a 1967 mustang with power brakes or should I order a kit for 1968 Mustang with power brakes?

I am just trying to order a kit that most closely matches the upgrades that i have added.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'm sure others with more experience will chime in, but the '68 front disc brakes are the single piston slider type and I'd think you'd need the '67 lines to match what amounts to a '67 set up which you are installing.

Reactions: caveeagle

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
This gets a little tricky.
If you order a 67 Front disc -rear drum new line kit, you will get a rear line that is setup for the Proportioning valve above the rear end. If you are going this route it will work fine. If you don't plan on the Proportioning valve above the rear end, then that portion of the line kit is not good for you.
The distribution block is different. Your 68 will work by plumbing the lines to fit. The Disc Brake lines from master to block will need a tiny bit of modifying, then mount your inline Proportioning vale where ever you choose after the block.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This gets a little tricky.
If you order a 67 Front disc -rear drum new line kit, you will get a rear line that is setup for the Proportioning valve above the rear end. If you are going this route it will work fine. If you don't plan on the Proportioning valve above the rear end, then that portion of the line kit is not good for you.
The distribution block is different. Your 68 will work by plumbing the lines to fit. The Disc Brake lines from master to block will need a tiny bit of modifying, then mount your inline Proportioning vale where ever you choose after the block.
No I dont plan on the prop valve being above the rear end. I plan on using the prop valve that comes in your front disc brake kit.

So are you saying that a 1968 disc/drum brake line kit would work but I would only have to fab brake lines from the master cylinder to the distribution block and to the proportioning valve? If so then I will definitely want the 68 disc/drum kit.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
My 67 GT had factory disc but I always like seeing proportioning valve up front as my car was a "late 67 build".
When shopping I saw that NPD listed 3 brake line kits, just for 67. Early, late, & very late. The very late had lines made just for 67 having proportioning valve up front. It's what I bought, was prefect.
My only question is, the steel to rubber hose line bracket mounting. I don't remember, but I think 67 has a vertical mount line brkt up front but in 68 went to a horizontal mounted brkt?? Meaning diff length steel & rubber hose to calipers, and brkt

Attachments

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
No I dont plan on the prop valve being above the rear end. I plan on using the prop valve that comes in your front disc brake kit.

So are you saying that a 1968 disc/drum brake line kit would work but I would only have to fab brake lines from the master cylinder to the distribution block and to the proportioning valve? If so then I will definitely want the 68 disc/drum kit.
You don't need another distribution block. What you have on there now will work fine. The new lines are in the package to plumb from the new master to the distribution block. Drawing, written guidance as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still need to buy a distribution block as the car does not have one located on it. I am not exactly sure where in the engine bay the factory block would have been for a 1968 Mustang as there is nothing in the engine bay right now. I need to find a source that sells a distribution block and mount if they have one.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
I still need to buy a distribution block as the car does not have one located on it. I am not exactly sure where in the engine bay the factory block would have been for a 1968 Mustang as there is nothing in the engine bay right now. I need to find a source that sells a distribution block and mount if they have one.
In my earlier posting, I showed you where it was mounted in my 67, the 68 be the same location. My picture of a distribution block & prop valve setup is a stock setup.
The distribution block brake warning switch is single wire vs a 68 which is diff 2 wire switch. Also as I tried to explain, the front brake lines to wheels different between 67/68 because 67 line meets hose brother mounts aft of shock tower, where the 68 brkts mount on front frame rail.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my earlier posting, I showed you where it was mounted in my 67, the 68 be the same location. My picture of a distribution block & prop valve setup is a stock setup.
The distribution block brake warning switch is single wire vs a 68 which is diff 2 wire switch. Also as I tried to explain, the front brake lines to wheels different between 67/68 because 67 line meets hose brother mounts aft of shock tower, where the 68 brkts mount on front frame rail.
Yeah I see that now but since yours was a 1967 I figured you had some sort of custom setup going on. I am essentially running the same front disc brakes and rear drums as what would have came on a 1967 mustang so i think that distribution block and prop valve would work for mine also. Then I wouldnt even use the adjustable prop valve that came in my front disc brake kit as I havent researched yet how to dial in that adjustable prop valve.

It would save me alot of guess work running the same non-adjustable prop valve and dist block that you have.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
On my 69, the brake brackets that connect the hard line to the flexible in the front were in the wrong place. My car originally had drum brakes. Anyways I stole the brake brackets off a 67 with factory disc brakes and used those. That made a huge difference - the old location would have put a lot of strain on the flexible line. Since the brackets were further back I just shortened my hard lines and re-flared them.

david

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Yeah I see that now but since yours was a 1967 I figured you had some sort of custom setup going on. I am essentially running the same front disc brakes and rear drums as what would have came on a 1967 mustang so i think that distribution block and prop valve would work for mine also. Then I wouldnt even use the adjustable prop valve that came in my front disc brake kit as I havent researched yet how to dial in that adjustable prop valve.

It would save me alot of guess work running the same non-adjustable prop valve and dist block that you have.
I believe this is the 67 front disc brake line set you'll need, prop valve up front. Believe the dist block is 68 ( maybe used in "late" 67), prop valve the same. I just used the correct 67 brake switch to match my wiring.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts

Yes, just order the 68 front disc brake lines, new 68 distribution block/proportioning valve for Disc Brakes. Adjustable Proportioning valve can be sold,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts