Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Convertible Boot STORAGE BAG

7388 50
I'd like to see some pictures of what you have and how you display them with the boot in them.
There was a thread about a year ago concerning these bags and CT has advised me as to how to properly fold my boot and put into the bag for proper (MCA show) display.
I am curious as to how many Convertible owners actually know about these bags and IF you actually use them, and also what YOURS is made of?
I borrowed a known original from a member and had it duplicated by my upholstery guy-IT was/is made of Convertible top material....
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,564 Posts
Frankly I just toss the boot in the trunk when the top is up for a long period. For short time I leave it inserted in the stainless strip on the top of the seat. Obviously my vert is just a driver! The storage bag was last seen in my basement store room! IIRC it's black vinyl material like the boot.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,564 Posts
The reason I said the storage bag for my 68 is black is boot storage bags are sold to match the trunk mat material.
By the way boot is the same sierra grain, appears to be the same material as the seat trim.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,564 Posts
But I care!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,747 Posts
Hi,
I have a bag and use it every time I raise the top. I wasn't aware, though, there is a proper way to fold it?
Do you suppose Martha would know? After all, she does know how to properly fold a "fitted" sheet! They can be a real b....ch, you know!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, I sense the sarcasm (sp) about the boot storage bag, you guys most likely would feel the same way about the ribbed radiator overflow hose and the ribbed washer hose sets......thats ok, no problem, I guess I'll have one of the very few on display at shows.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
You guys most likely would feel the same way about the ribbed radiator overflow hose and the ribbed washer hose sets......thats ok, no problem, I guess I'll have one of the very few on display at shows.
Well, since NPD is now carrying the ribbed wiper and radiator overflow hose, I think you're going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
65/66 windshield washer hose kit NPD pn#17543-1B

65/73 radiator overflow hose NPD pn#8008-1A

They're priced about the same as what Jack Brooks is selling them for.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys, FYI Jack at Dead Nuts On is the one who had these various ribbed hoses made up, I guess hes selling them to various vendors now much like Scott Drake does......
The devil IS in the details.......the ORIGINAL washer Ts for '65-'66 are hard to find, I've got one I'm trying to find someone to reproduce correctly......

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Thought there were more posts on this thread-spoke disparaging of the bags, I guess ,and got deleted. But anyway, looked and I have three of them-all black.Two are made out of the same vinyl as well liners-possibly seat vinyl-but doubt it. The third black one is a pebble grain and believe it's out of a 68. Got them, cleaning out flip cars, and sold the cars with boot folded WITHOUT the bags. Another one of the smooth cloth ones held a jack and handle-they're great for that! Hidden under the tire LOL!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
There have been no posts deleted due to the fact that there have been no disparaging remarks in this thread. I don't know if the OP didn't think that anyone knew about the boot bags or if he just didn't like the direction the thread moved in. The boot bags are a pretty common thing, but I've seen no real consistency in how they were made. I've seen originals made of what looked like convertible top material, vinyl top material, and seat material. They seem to be like underside batch paint, Ford used whatever they had handy and didn't cost them anything extra.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There have been no posts deleted due to the fact that there have been no disparaging remarks in this thread. I don't know if the OP didn't think that anyone knew about the boot bags or if he just didn't like the direction the thread moved in. The boot bags are a pretty common thing, but I've seen no real consistency in how they were made. I've seen originals made of what looked like convertible top material, vinyl top material, and seat material. They seem to be like underside batch paint, Ford used whatever they had handy and didn't cost them anything extra.
All I was trying to do is see how many people had the storage bags and may be get a pointer or 2 as to how to position them with the boot in them in the trunk-based on the fact that during MCA judging such items in the trunk like spare tires, jacks, and lug wrenches need to be properly installed/stored/displayed as to not loose any points.

The original I borrowed from a member from an early '66 Dearborn car was made (very crudely, acording to my upholstery guy.) from Convertible top material turned inside out so the Black "interior" was on the outside and White "exterior" was on the inside-my guess is to keep any color boot clean.
My upholstery guy wanted to make my bag nicer and cleaner than the known original sample I brought him but I declined and insisted he make it exactly like the sample.

To each their own, but right now my car, a 1965 K GT Convertible is Concours Trailered and until I'm finished showing it in this class for awards I must strive for absolute perfection.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The mounting of the spare tire and the proper location of the jack and ratchet is outlined in the MCA rulebook and by Ford (see the sticker). The addition of the boot bag in the trunk, as long as it is an original or a suitable reproduction, will neither gain you or cost you points.

With regard to your quest to perfection, I applaud you on the effort. I'm sure you have a very nice car (restored by Nate Miller IIRC) and would love to see pictures of it. However, the tone of your post implies that you think you're the only person on this forum that wants to achieve a very high level of correctness on your car. That is definitely not the case and I hope I'm way off on that perception.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know the storage bag won't make or loose any points, I also know that there are things that I have chosen to upgrade or change since my cars restoration nearly 2 years ago due to the availability of parts and technicques.
For the record Nate Miller and I have agreed to disagree long ago.
And you are right about my comment about perfection:(THERE IS NO VEHICLE ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH THAT IS PERFECT,btw) I just felt that since we are on the CONCOURS forum that folks would be a bit more suportive of my question and not poke fun at it -I am a very serious person when it comes to my car and enjoy the hobby that I have been involved with since 1974 very much, I have not and will not put my car on a pedistil, and like I said I STRIVE for perfection which I know can never be fully realized in my car or any other.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts