Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
While my car is far from and will probably never be concours condition I do have a bag that is made from what looks like boot well material and looks way too small for a folded boot to fit in. Also the construction of the bag is very sloppy.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
While my car is far from and will probably never be concours condition I do have a bag that is made from what looks like boot well material and looks way too small for a folded boot to fit in. Also the construction of the bag is very sloppy.
Yep, Sounds like you have an original bag, they were very crude made originally.
I chose to have mine made like the original sample I was sent by a member on here out of convertible top material.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I also know that there are things that I have chosen to upgrade or change since my cars restoration nearly 2 years ago due to the availability of parts and technicques.
For the record Nate Miller and I have agreed to disagree long ago.
Was there some comment that needed to be here? or just a quote of what I posted earlier?

·
Registered
37,463 Posts
Every original I've seen looked like this, but since Ford was not interested in making it easy for us, there were likely other versions.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was hoping to see a photo and perhaps the dimensions of an original bag after all the banter. I agree that if its in a concours forum no detail is too small. If anyone has an original bag could they post a pic/dimensions?

·
Premium Member
9,747 Posts
I was hoping to see a photo and perhaps the dimensions of an original bag after all the banter. I agree that if its in a concours forum no detail is too small. If anyone has an original bag could they post a pic/dimensions?

Hi,

Just for the heck of it, have you checked MCA for their view on this? Got to be a member,but then, if your interests lie in the concours division, then joing is a natural.
BTW, I've owned my vert since the early 80's and have never seen what might be a concours bag. I have the garden variety, much like 22GT's pic.
Happy Trails!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Based on the above discussion, I learned I do not have a "boot bag" since the pic shows something pretty large in a square-type configuration. I assume then the narrower style bags I found in my 69 and 73 verts are storage for the jack ??

I've never used them since they were in pretty poor condition (stained, moldy) when I initially found them and the boot obviously would not fit into them. Both were black vinyl.

I usually fold my boot and just tuck it under the well liner.

Anyway, just curious.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Every original I've seen looked like this, but since Ford was not interested in making it easy for us, there were likely other versions.

Check out the 2011 edition of NPDs '65-'73 Mustang catalog on page 52 at the rh top of page or look online at their part number TA-4A-this is what all of the "early" storage bags I've seen look like.

Again, The Drake bag looks exactly like the one that came from the factory in my Niece's '86 GT Convertible.....

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Based on the above discussion, I learned I do not have a "boot bag" since the pic shows something pretty large in a square-type configuration. I assume then the narrower style bags I found in my 69 and 73 verts are storage for the jack ??

I've never used them since they were in pretty poor condition (stained, moldy) when I initially found them and the boot obviously would not fit into them. Both were black vinyl.

I usually fold my boot and just tuck it under the well liner.

Anyway, just curious.
Bill, I've never seen the smaller bags you describe.....IF they are plad they are aftermarket accessory bags sold mostly to folks with "driver" cars to put small tools and stuff in-I'd never heard of a storage bag for the jack in a Mustang......

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm gonna dig it out , take some measurements (maybe a pic) and post. It's not plaid.

"I'd never heard of a storage bag for the jack in a Mustang...... " Neither have I. Besides, it would not fit the diagram of the jack / spare tire / lug wrench on the sticker.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Check out the 2011 edition of NPDs '65-'73 Mustang catalog on page 52 at the rh top of page or look online at their part number TA-4A-this is what all of the "early" storage bags I've seen look like.

Again, The Drake bag looks exactly like the one that came from the factory in my Niece's '86 GT Convertible.....
Original bags have no flaps, no snaps, and no zippers. They are plain bags without any means of closure. No one makes an original looking bag, but they can be reproduced if the measurements are known. I don't know them. I have one of the bags pictured above and was knocked for it at SAAC.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Original bags have no flaps, no snaps, and no zippers. They are plain bags without any means of closure. No one makes an original looking bag, but they can be reproduced if the measurements are known. I don't know them. I have one of the bags pictured above and was knocked for it at SAAC.
I know that NPD has correct looking bags for the early cars.....I believe they are made from seat-type vinyl, probably other vendors have them as well, the known original that I borrowed to have duplicated again, was very crudely made, so thats exactly how I had my upholstery guy make my new one, the known original was made from CONVERTIBLE TOP material, so thats what I had mine made in.........gonna see what comments I get with it at the MCA National in Jax in May.....

·
Premium Member
9,747 Posts
I know that NPD has correct looking bags for the early cars.....I believe they are made from seat-type vinyl, probably other vendors have them as well, the known original that I borrowed to have duplicated again, was very crudely made, so thats exactly how I had my upholstery guy make my new one, the known original was made from CONVERTIBLE TOP material, so thats what I had mine made in.........gonna see what comments I get with it at the MCA National in Jax in May.....
Hi,
By chance, have you check the MCA rules regarding the bag?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
To my knoledge there ARE NO RULES concerning the BAG itself....I have the 2011 MCA rules in front of me....and states"Convertible rear window hold up strap:no hole, no strap.Convertible top pads, correct canvas material.Convertible rear window zipper must be brass" and:"'64.5-'65-black or white.Other colors permitted with documentation.Rear bow finisher strip is 2 piece plastic, NOT 1 piece fold over. NO cloth tops allowed"
CT has recommended that IF a convertible owner has a "parade boot" they want to display it should be in a storage bag in the trunk.........
While we are on the subject of convertible tops, I still have some 12" lengths of the correct rawhide for the zipper pulls if anyone would like one just let me know!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I still have the original storage bag for my 73 Convertible. The material matches the boot material and the boot well material; the inside has a white lining.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I still have the original storage bag for my 73 Convertible. The material matches the boot material and the boot well material; the inside has a white lining.
Is your storage bag more of a seat vinyl or more like convertible top material?-mine copy was made exactly like the known original that I borrowed and IT IS WHITE convertible top material turned inside out so the white is on the inside and the black inside is on the outside....

21 - 40 of 51 Posts