Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just discovered that some idiot removed header pins from the '65 convertible I just purchased.

The body is solid and the top is in like new condition, but it appears to fall short of the windshield header. I ordered the pins, but it looks like they might fall 1/4" short of the holes. The top is snug and the side rail to door glass seems to fit right.

I've read the manual, but before I touch (screw up) anything I'd like to hear what others have experienced, or what they would suggest as the first step to diagnose and fix this problem.

John

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
You may get the same replies that you got on the vintage forum. Maybe the reason for no response is they responded to your other posting

I'll take another crack at it. It's possible that the pins were left off because they didn't align with the holes. They must be fairly close or the latchs wouldn't work. I suggest installing the pins and see how close they come. When the top is a little shrunk from being down in the cold the pins help pull the header forward for latching.

With the pins in pull down lightly on the side rail(s) and try latching. Also note the latches are adjustable.

How is the header weatherstrip. If it's old and collapsed the previous owner may have tried clamping tighter than the pins would allow so he removed the pins.

Good luck
Slim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts