Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put these on back in 1980 or so. I had moved back to MN from CO, and had sold my beloved 1957 MGA. Thought I’d see if I could get back some of that old feeling with some Mustang mods. Added these bars to try and tighten up the old nag’s chassis, a rear sway bar, and a bigger front bar. Got a few new front end parts and an alignment too. The shocks and tires were already good. Handling did improve, but it wasn’t anything at all like an MG, and I realized it never could be. So I bought an MGB GT (more suitable for Minnesota’s climate) and left the Mustang alone after that. Anyway, my Monte Cristo bars were made from a couple pieces of scrap iron with a hammer, a hacksaw, and a drill. I didn’t have a garage or even a workshop at the time, so nothing fancy. If I were to do it over nowadays, I’d make a few improvements. The rear bar could be a shallow U-channel with the ends cut and welded back on at an angle so you could catch both bolts on the shock tower stubs. And the front bar is only a 3/4” pipe, it should be a 1” diameter. And I’d bend the end tabs so the pipe was forward of the mounting bolts, not on top of them. Makes the end ears angle bending a little more complicated though, probably need more than a hammer for that. And some small angle iron reinforcements at the attachment points would be a good idea too. But what I did do was free, and I didn’t have to drill any new holes in my car. They’re easily removed if you have to pull your valve cover or something. And they fit with the stock convertible braces. They may not be pretty or as efficient as possible, but they added some stiffness without removing any money.
CFE07106-08E1-465A-B997-4D732BBB570B.jpeg
67F2D100-0853-4662-BA0A-AE31E6AA0593.jpeg

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the store bought ones are called Monte Carlo bars, but I get to call my homemade ones Monte Cristo bars because they’re kinda cheesy, like the sandwich!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Do you get a complimentary cigar with purchase of the bar?

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Yea, the store bought ones are called Monte Carlo bars, but I get to call my homemade ones Monte Cristo bars because they’re kinda cheesy, like the sandwich!
I thought they were fine like a Cuban cigar...

Reactions: rpm

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,395 Posts
I had a 1970 MG. It was fun to drive. But if my current '67 Mustang couldn't out corner it, outrun it, out brake it, and generally just all around outperform it then I believe I must have done a LOT of things terribly wrong.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well yea, what can't outperform an MG nowadays! But to push my six cylinder convertible to a state where it could, it would have no longer been the reliable, comfortable, economical, and easy cruising car that had been so good to me so long. Sometimes it's more than sheer performance that makes a car fun to me. That '57 MGA had a joie de vivre I haven't experienced very often. In another post, I listed my top four favorite cars out of the fifty some I've had. A 924 Porsche was up there, easily beating out a 928. The 928 was clearly superior by any objective measure, but was kind of boring. By the time you went fast enough to get exciting, you were very close to terrifying, and long past extremely illegal. But to each their own, I'm real glad all cars aren't the same.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,395 Posts
I don't know. What "nowadays"? These are 50+ year old pony cars we're talking about here. 200's respond really well to having a 5 speed installed. Arning drop, some roller perches, Bilsteins, Weber progressive carburetor, bigger sway bar, maybe some other bits from Opentracker or Street and Track should result in a wonderful car to drive in EVERY way.

Reactions: zray

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,354 Posts
Well yea, what can't outperform an MG nowadays! But to push my six cylinder convertible to a state where it could, it would have no longer been the reliable, comfortable, economical, and easy cruising car that had been so good to me so long. Sometimes it's more than sheer performance that makes a car fun to me. That '57 MGA had a joie de vivre I haven't experienced very often. In another post, I listed my top four favorite cars out of the fifty some I've had. A 924 Porsche was up there, easily beating out a 928. The 928 was clearly superior by any objective measure, but was kind of boring. By the time you went fast enough to get exciting, you were very close to terrifying, and long past extremely illegal. But to each their own, I'm real glad all cars aren't the same.
If you haven't done it already, you could do the Shelby/Arning Drop. It will tighten up your cornering and the procedure is basically free except you'll have to get the front end aligned to different specs that takes advantage of the new steering geometry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts