Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been fighting putting new quarters on my 1967 convertible for a couple weekends. Even had a person I know who has done a number of restorations take a look at what's going on. No mater how much we fuss with it - keeps coming back to wider gap up top of door jam. Tried OEM door, 2 different quarters - cut out inner wheel to give more play room. I can post some pics but pretty easy to visualize Gap wider on top and narrower at bottom. Car is rust free changing quarters and other sheet metal cause the old car had some significant dings/dents in most panels. One quarter was previously replaced with OEM quarter - when I got it off found that car was hit up high and I was not able to get trunk lid square. Replaced those parts from some I found at salvage yard and trunk lining up good. But still have these gaps. I can work them with sheet metal but thought I would see if any recommendation on working on older verts and quarters. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way have car on rear axle and wheel and have front on jack stands in front suspension areas. Car is a complete shell at this point.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The fact that you said it’s been hit is the biggest red flag. If it were me I’d check all of the dimensions.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did that - all underneath points are where they should be and square. If its anywhere it on top - and I believe I took care of that when fixing side that was hit and replacing parts. No obvious signs of trauma..

·
Registered
985 Posts
You mention sag in your post title. Not sure about 67 models, but my 66 vert is very rigid with no perceived sag. My gaps are not perfect but better than most factory gaps I have seen and not due to sag.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
If your car had "convertible sag" you would have exactly the OPPOSITE problem, the gap at the top of the doors would be the SMALL gap. Your problem is caused by something other than sag.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your car had "convertible sag" you would have exactly the OPPOSITE problem, the gap at the top of the doors would be the SMALL gap. Your problem is caused by something other than sag.
Hmm thanks - did not realize that but when I think about it makes sense. I'm a little lost then. Like I mentioned earlier car had some dings and hits in various places in sheet metal - nothing structurally that I can tell except the part I replaced. I kind of finessed the passenger side to close enough. I can probably get driver straighter by working metal on door (run a welding rod up through edge or shave of a little and weld up) or splicing quarter a little at top and widen it a little. Have to play with fender and trunk and get close and then work from there.

Again any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 66 vert that I replace both quarters and experienced the same issue. It was never in a wreck. I was working with aftermarket quarters and doors. I ended up having to add to the door at the top to make the Gap uniform. if you go this route add a few beads and stop, let it cool frequently or the panel will warp.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 66 vert that I replace both quarters and experienced the same issue. It was never in a wreck. I was working with aftermarket quarters and doors. I ended up having to add to the door at the top to make the Gap uniform. if you go this route add a few beads and stop, let it cool frequently or the panel will warp.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did a little research and I am assuming its as simple as if the bottom of door is aligned evenly and you have uneven gap at door jamb (both with OEM door and aftermarket) - its either something with aftermarket qtr or tweak in car somewhere. In either case I will need to work gap by either filling in door or splicing quarter and opening a little. Splicing qtr actually sounds easier since I don't have qtr on car yet and I can get behind qtr and fill in metal from there and coat a little bondo in between. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
641 Posts
A few pics would be nice. Did you remove/replace the inner rockers? Agree with above, if you have sag it's usually the gap closing together at the top. Without seeing a pic, can the right rear quarter say on the passenger be rotated clockwise a tad to close off the gap at the top? And of course vise versa in the direction on the drivers side? Initially when i installed the passenger side quarter on the 70 convert i'm finishing it had to lift up on the rear of the quarter to change the gap at the top and all was well.
..John

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No
A few pics would be nice. Did you remove/replace the inner rockers? Agree with above, if you have sag it's usually the gap closing together at the top. Without seeing a pic, can the right rear quarter say on the passenger be rotated clockwise a tad to close off the gap at the top? And of course vise versa in the direction on the drivers side? Initially when i installed the passenger side quarter on the 70 convert i'm finishing it had to lift up on the rear of the quarter to change the gap at the top and all was well.
..John
did not replace rockers car is rust free. I tried lifting back quarter a but did not close it much. Not sure what you mean rotating. are you saying give it a little twist besides just lifting back up..

·
Registered
641 Posts
No, i meant by rotating just lifting up on the rear to get the top of the quarter at the door opening to move forward and close off the gap somewhat. It worked for me on the 70.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I am no expert...not even remotely qualified. As I eventually look to replace sheet metal, I am concerned about getting the gaps looking perfect, then putting the transmission and engine in and having things “adjust”, especially since I have a 390.
My question, is the engine and transmission weight evenly distributed over the mounts? If this weight is biased toward the rear, could this possibly close the gap? Obviously this would mean there is some unwanted flex in the unibody which is more pronounced in a convertible.

Conversely, could the fact the car is just a shell create a sag “reversing” effect causing the spread at the upper door?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,294 Posts
It wouldn't be the first quarter panel that needed work to get the alignment correct. IIRC a youtuber named jo daddys garage shows him cutting the quarter just behind the door gap to adjust it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes, i've seen many a quarter cut and spread apart to get the gap correct. And some that needed metal taken away...as Redneckgearhead says " It wouldn't be the first"
John

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually bought a Craig Hopkins panel perfect video a few years back I just remembered about. It was for another project that I sold. Just starting looking at. Not as stressed now about the gaps - Looks like something I can handle :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts