Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of making the switch from fastback to convertible. It looks like I'm going to focus in the 67-70 model years. Other than that engine, colors, options are all wide open. After a few mins searching I've listed some problem areas to check for.

Cowl -rust
Door jam gap is closer at the the top of the door than the bottom.
Frame rails
Floor pans

Did I miss anything major here? Are there any convertible only trim pieces that I need to keep an eye out for while shopping? Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
As far as hard to find trim pieces, depends on the year you buy. '69 and '70 windshield surrounds, header bar, and inner end-moldings are all specific to the car, and not reproduced. Rear well surrounds are also hard to come by (at least for the '69-'70s). Most of the rest is common to coupes and/or fastbacks.
For rust, floor pans are a biggy, as roof leaks really get after the floors. If the front of the roof doesn't seal to the windshield, driving in the rain can let water in. Torque boxes (as noted) are always am issue. The metal around the trunk well is also a concern, if the rear of the roof doesn't seal, you again get moisture. Leaking wells can also get water into the trunk drops.
Most of the convertible top pieces are readily available.

Carl

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Most convertible top pieces readily availible? Depends on what you mean by
top pieces IMO. Much of the top frame is only availible if you find a whole
frame assembly to pirate. The so called hockey stick stainless strips on the '68
that hold the top boot. The rear quarter windows are not the same as coupe on '67/'68.
The wide stainless trim around the windshield '67/'68 needs to be good or restored OEM.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input. I figure once the I move my 69 I'll start the search for my convertible.

Do you guys think it would be better to go the 6 cyc route and add a V8 in later?

I get the feeling that I may need to go the semi-restored route to find one that has a solid frame and most of the stainless items.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The problem I found on my 66 was under the carpet directly under the door. There was literally a hole on each side in the frame. The only way to tell though was to remove the carpet and seat. Any seemingly minor problems that can be seen outside are definitley worse inside the frame (I've heard the cars rust from the inside out). Funny you are thinking about going to a convertbile - I'm thinking about going to a fastback. ha ha.

Russ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts