Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tossing around the idea once I finish my fastback of taking a 67 Convertible car that I bought for parts which is totally rotted, sagging etc. and doing a Fastback conversion on it. I know there are purists that will say don't do it! But I have almost nothing in the car and not really that big into convertibles, so the thought has crossed my mind to do a nice fastback conversion and modern motor etc and do a really nice daily driver. So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
If it's toast, why not sell it as is to someone who actually wants a 'vert, and go find yourself a decent coupe to start with? Odds are you'll sell yours for more than the coupe as they're definitely more plentiful, right? At least that's the direction I'd go in...

·
Registered
117 Posts
While I think you would be well ahead by buying a nice good coupe shell, as they sell much cheaper, at least with the convert you can sell all the good convert parts and would have the good convert floor structure that I just put into my FB. I got convert floors, convert rails, convert pan...etc. in it. Much stiffer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I have to agree! Sell or trade it for a coupe and convert the coupe. You'll likely get a better car to start with and someone else will get a chance to restore a vert

·
Super Moderator
8,840 Posts
I've been tossing around the idea once I finish my fastback of taking a 67 Convertible car that I bought for parts which is totally rotted, sagging etc. and doing a Fastback conversion on it. I know there are purists that will say don't do it! But I have almost nothing in the car and not really that big into convertibles, so the thought has crossed my mind to do a nice fastback conversion and modern motor etc and do a really nice daily driver. So what do you guys think?

I’ll go against the grain here,....it’s your car, do what you want. :wink:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
"Back in the day", a convertible was more rare than a FB.
IMO, either sell it, or restore it as a convertible. It won't cost as much as converting it to a FB (which you already have?) and, first time you get to take it out with the top down... well... ain't nothing like it. Coupe or fastback, can't tell the difference sitting in the front seat. Take the roof off?... yeah baby! There's the difference.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
What's wrong with taking a rotten coupe that needs roof, quarters, and floor anyway, and making a fastback?
Who does that?

And if you mean taking a rotten fastback and putting the top on a coupe, nothing, in my opinion...until someone down the road buys a fastback that's not an actual fastback.

And if you meant it as you ask it, see above.

Allen

·
Registered
41 Posts
I find that very interesting, I think that is a great idea. Go for it!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm gonna get flamed for this...... But I like Coupes and Verts much better than most fast backs. And yes, fastbacks are worth more than coupes, a fake fastback converted from a coupe isnt going to be worth much more than the coupe it started life as, and not going to be worth the hassle.

My $.02

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
While I think you would be well ahead by buying a nice good coupe shell, as they sell much cheaper, at least with the convert you can sell all the good convert parts and would have the good convert floor structure that I just put into my FB. I got convert floors, convert rails, convert pan...etc. in it. Much stiffer.
At the risk of getting side tracked....that really looks good and occasionally I wish I had installed the convert rails myself in my FB.....BUT.....do you foresee any limitations in seat selection? I have heard that the vert rails limit width available if you go with late model seats.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I'm gonna get flamed for this...... But I like Coupes and Verts much better than most fast backs. And yes, fastbacks are worth more than coupes, a fake fastback converted from a coupe isnt going to be worth much more than the coupe it started life as, and not going to be worth the hassle.

My $.02
Ya this is side tracking. I selectively agree.

To my eye the 65/66 looks like an afterthought. The 65/66 coup and vert were styled to be coupe or vert. Follow the window shape and the side depression on the quarter panels, it mirrors the coupe/vert contour.

It has nothing to do with value.

The 67/68 again to my eye the fastback looks like it was part of the styling thinking all along.

69/70 again to my eye were styled to be sportroof/fastback. The coupe and vert were included but not seeming important!

As for converting vert to fastback. I'll be a hugh/difficult project but why not? It's your time and money. IMO you'll play hell finding a buyer if/when you sell.

Many radical customs are mony and time down the toilet.Hey for most it's a fun hobby.

Do it, have fun!

·
Registered
117 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts