Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,560 Posts
Rotted.

Sagging.

This screams scrap it, sell the parts that have any value, and if you want to play, buy a $500 Non Rotted Non Sagging coupe and convert it.

Any money you save on working with a car you already have will be blown away in a second on fixing the structural mess.

Run Forest Run

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know that this is kind of off topic but here is my advice. A rusty, rotted car is a bit money pit. You are going to end up with a lot of time and labor and $$$ trying to bring it back from the dead. I would say that at least 50% of the time they never get finished because it is such a big project. And 90% of the time you are WAY upside down in it and you would have been much better off with a car in better condition.

I restored a rotted convertible only because it was an original 428 Cobra Jet car. Replaced pretty much every piece. This is a task beyond the backyard mechanic because you really, really have to know what you are doing to end up with a straight car where everything lines up. For example, when he put the floorpan and rockers in the door gap was noticeably wide at the top. I pointed that out and he said that once we got everything else on the car the weight would pull the body down and close the gap. He was right. And that expertise does not come cheap. I ended up with $20K in just the paint and body.

·
Registered
162 Posts
... For example, when he put the floorpan and rockers in the door gap was noticeably wide at the top. I pointed that out and he said that once we got everything else on the car the weight would pull the body down and close the gap. He was right. And that expertise does not come cheap. I ended up with $20K in just the paint and body.
I'm curious to ask this. When 4 adults sit in the convertible, will that bring the door & jamb even closer? That's about 800 lbs, give or take a few. I've never thought of this until now. Just wondering.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you for all your input. I think I'm going to sell the vert and maybe someday look for another fastback or coupe, or more than likely just put some extra goodies into my fastback. Thanks again!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts