Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I go with a black top, it makes for a classic color combo for an early Mustang. But then again I'm a bit biased; mines the same color.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
My 66 GT convert with the same combo came with a white top. White, although harder to keep clean, looks better IMHO.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Funny this question came up....Just today I was looking at some original Ford promotional material.. In the 1965 Mustang Dealer Brochure it mentions "TAN" as an orderable option for a convertible top....and on an original 1965 Dealer order sheet, It mentions "Blue" as an orderable option...but no mention of "TAN".. Very Odd and strange...!!!!! A few couple original owners have come forward and said that their 1965 Convertibles actually came with the "Blue" tops...so I'm inclined to believe that the Blue was most likely out there... I haven't verified an actually Tan top yet, but I'm working on it... The order codes for both colors DO exist. I believe that if not one, but both were probably "special order"....for 1965 only. Sorry for opening this can of worms again!!!but it intrigues the hell out of me!!!!!lol...

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible
MCA#70001

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would go for white.Because to many colors ain't good for the looks.
(and some red side stripes above the rocker??)
But thats my opinion.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've seen 'em both colors. Black does seem to be the most striking, though, IMHO.

Bill

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Vote for black. The Ford white is a bit on the tan side. Then you would have tutone white and it looks like ****!(Biased Opinion) Did a 65 cv in Tropical Turquoise with white interior. Ordered a white top(ford white) and it clashed. Called top co. and got a white top in a GM shade. It was not a white/white but it was perfect. Don't know if blue was available for 66. Would do it anyway. Of course, if your car is not original, like mine, went with a dark blue "Stayfast" cloth look top.

G

·
0 Posts
Here's a '67 I put together last year. Wimbledon white with an off-white convertible top. Doesn't clash at all if you ask me.

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/susan/6_16_08/6_16_08%20003.jpg

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
CharlesTurner said:
Here's a '67 I put together last year. Wimbledon white with an off-white convertible top. Doesn't clash at all if you ask me.

That top looks like the GM color white that I used. As Boss 9 mentioned the 65 white was creamy and the first one I got was. The top in pic is much whiter-looks great!

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
No clash on my 68 with Wimbelton White paint. (Not crazy about the blue stripe my dad put on.)
Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
CharlesTurner said:

Hey Charles,

Do you have a good source for the convertible top window 'hinge' as shown in your picture?

Rod

·
Registered
942 Posts
My vote would be for a BLACK convertible top, as I have seen a few Wimbledon White Mustangs with a White top and to me its too much White and its really difficult to get the two Whites to match-(still too much White to me)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 65 C-Code convertible. Ivy Green Exterior with Palomino Interior (Trim #29). I am lucky enough to have the original invoice which lists the car as having a Tan top. I have the window sticker as well, however the top color is not listed on that.

Funny this question came up....Just today I was looking at some original Ford promotional material.. In the 1965 Mustang Dealer Brochure it mentions "TAN" as an orderable option for a convertible top....and on an original 1965 Dealer order sheet, It mentions "Blue" as an orderable option...but no mention of "TAN".. Very Odd and strange...!!!!! A few couple original owners have come forward and said that their 1965 Convertibles actually came with the "Blue" tops...so I'm inclined to believe that the Blue was most likely out there... I haven't verified an actually Tan top yet, but I'm working on it... The order codes for both colors DO exist. I believe that if not one, but both were probably "special order"....for 1965 only. Sorry for opening this can of worms again!!!but it intrigues the hell out of me!!!!!lol...

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible
MCA#70001

·
Registered
553 Posts
The "1965 Only" Ford Master Parts Catalog (printed January 1964) notes that "Before 8/17/1964", Black, White and Blue Tops were available, but "After 8/17/1964", only Black, White and Tan Tops were available as Options. The Mustang Sales Brochure printed 4/65, seems to support that, listing only the Black, White and Tan Tops as Options.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts