Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm working on getting a 65 convertible ready for the summer that I purchased a couple years ago and just pulled out of storage. I finally got it to start, reliably run after working on it a couple weeks but now have an issue with the the top, the motor seems to function, however as it goes back the passenger side starts to pull further back than the driver's side, and a sort of grinding noise is emitted.

Based on what I've read it seems the main candidate for the issue is the hydraulic cylinder lift in the rear. Has anybody had success repairing these or is it really just a buy and replace with the one off CJPP? Are there other possible causes? I pointed my flashlight down into the recess and noticed what appears to be a leak at the top of the cylinder.

Any help or advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I replaced the cylinder on my 95 (which is essentially the same as the 65) and it wasn't a big deal. Once you get the seat and the inner quarter panel out you shouldn't have too much trouble removing the cylinder.

You might want to take a look at all the pivot points and make sure they're not binding. And look at the pump and make sure that it's full of fluid. It's just Type F transmission fluid if you need to add more.

If the cylinder's wet though you're probably just going to have to replace it or get it rebuilt. If you get stuck taking it out there are pics and instructions in the shop manual, but really since the replacement is only 9 steps total and two of them are "take out the seats and rear panel" and "put them back", you'll be fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts