Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to those who answered my question from yesterday. One more question, I need to replace the original weatherstripping on my 65 convertible. My parents bought this car new in June 1965 and has been in the family ever since. It is now mine!!! It has never spent a single night outdoors, so the weatherstripping is OK but still needs replacing. I bought a weatherstripping kit but am not sure about adhesive. Any advise from other convertible owners? :joker:

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
3M has a good product. They also have a good product for getting the old stuff off; I forget what it is called but an automative paint shop should know what you need. You will need to scrape it and I use a paint stirring stick to avoid scratching the paint. This takes a bit of patience, but it works....

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I'm getting close to that point myself. Believe it was originally held in place by double sided tape. As its a bit exposed I'm poking around for a similar substitute tape to seal solidly across the entire surface. No one seems to carry it in the catalogs I've checked.

The 3M weatherstrip adhesive is a good product as well, used it on most the other areas of the 'vert.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Yes, the strip bolts in place, but the few I've worked on while fixing my 68 'vert all had double stick tape as well. Assumed it was original, but that's only based on a sample of three frames I've personally mucked around with...

Anyone know if the tape is original? I assumed so but assumptions are like......???

·
1,215 Posts
My '66 did not have tape..but I have no idea whether or not it was original..or if it had been removed at some point.

FWIW, I used a piece of black rope caulk to seal any moisture that could come in between the strip and the frame, but that is unlikely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts