Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quote from FordMustangCar.com

The Deluxe Interior Group (standard on Mach 1, Grande andBoss 429) came with simulated wood grain appliques on the dash, door panels and console. Numerals on the speedometer (and optional tachometer) were smaller than the standard interior's and the speedometer was divided in multiples of five.

The Interior Decor Group consisted of the molded door panels with woodgrain applique, comfortweave buckets, the Deluxe three-spoke Rim Blow steering wheel and a driver's side remote rectangular mirror. The high-back bucket seats were optional with either interior option. A clock was also housed on the passengerside dash pod.

Instrument face color with the Deluxe Interior Group was dark grey, versus black for standard. This interior was optional only on SportsRoofs and hardtops.

The 1969 Mustang Facts | FordMustangCar.com

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, no Deluxe for Conv..
That's what is written in the Recognition Guide, which is a good source for this kind of info.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shelby convertibles have it. I was trying earlier to find an ad for a deluxe convertible to see what the Marti report shows. The problem is that the book By The Numbers doesn't show the deluxe interior group, only the decor interior group.

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
No, I don't believe that is correct. Seems to me the only interior option proscribed for convertibles was the Comfortweave™ material, because accidental rain would saturate the seats. There has been a lot of confusion on this point. Marti could clear it up.

P

·
0 Posts
The Shelby Converts were a special order to have the Mach 1 interior in a convertible. It wasn't a RPO.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Makes sense that there would be concern using comfort weave in convertibles that the seat could get soaked in the rain with tho top down.

68 Mustang comfort weave was a separate line item unrelated to body style (vert) or deluxe interior.
My 70 Torino vert has comfort weave, Marti shows it single line option.

No help on 69 Stang vert, just thought as usual I'd try to add to the confusion! :stirpot: :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,812 Posts
back in the mid 70's a friend had a 69 Shelby GT350 convert. it had the mach 1 interior with the woodgrain trim, high backs and all. maybe that was youneek to the Shelby convert.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
According to Jim Smart in his 1965-1990 book the deluxe int option was only avail on fastback and convertibles as the grande option on coupes had the optional deluxe int standard so it was not avail on a std coupe! Wes

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think the prohibition had anything to do with the seats. The interior decor group gave you the nicer comfort weave seats along with the molded door panels and the 3 spoke rim blow steering wheel. There were 1826 convertibles built with that option. The difference is that the deluxe interior group added the wood grain instrument panel pods with the blue/gray gage faces with the smaller numerals.

I think someone at Ford(lawyers?) felt that the lower contrasting deluxe speedometer would be harder to read under certain sun glare conditions with the top down. It doesn't make any sense to have the most expensive body style have a prohibition like this purely on a whim. I have a feeling though that this prohibition was probably lifted mid model year. Can you imagine telling a prospective customer that the Mustang coupe, sportroof and Shelby convertible can have the woodgrain dash but the Mustang convertible can't?! Or telling the customer that if they want a woodgrain dash that they have to buy a Cougar? I think the dealers would have pushed back to Ford about this.

It doesn't really change what I'm going to do with my car, but it is a mystery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts