Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, and based in the UK, where Mustang parts and advice aren't so easy to find. I've searched for a thread about this, but although there are some on disc conversions, I can't find one about this.

I have a 65 6 cylinder auto coupe with drum brakes, and I'm converting it to V8 manual, with disc brakes. I've acquired some front hub assemblies off a 67 V8 Fastback. I'm an engineer, and making adapters to fit a nice set of Brembo calipers to the V8 spindles. My question is this, do I bolt them to the 6 cylinder radius arms, or fit the V8 Arms? I can't mock them up to work it out for myself at the moment, as the body is away being painted. However, I popped to the painter's the other day and put a tape measure across the lower radius arm, and its roughly 1 1/2" shorter than the V8 arm.

Are the bodies the same on all 65-67's, where the arms bolt on, or are the 6's different to the V8's?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing your advice.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
'65 and '67 use different front suspension. The '65 uses shims between the Upper Control Arm and the shock tower to adjust caster and camber. The '67 uses an adjustable Lower Control Arm to adjust camber and an adjustable Strut Rod to adjust Caster.
What are you calling a radius arm? The strut rod that attaches to the outboard end of the LCA and angles inward towards the front of the car?
The '65 spindles and '67 spindles have different geometry built into them, particularly the steering arm that the outer tie rod attaches to.

There are many differences between a 6 cylinder car and a V8 car. The front spindles are smaller/weaker and the rear end is smaller/weaker. Converting to a V8 requires a lot of parts replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm new to this forum, and based in the UK, where Mustang parts and advice aren't so easy to find. I've searched for a thread about this, but although there are some on disc conversions, I can't find one about this.

I have a 65 6 cylinder auto coupe with drum brakes, and I'm converting it to V8 manual, with disc brakes. I've acquired some front hub assemblies off a 67 V8 Fastback. I'm an engineer, and making adapters to fit a nice set of Brembo calipers to the V8 spindles. My question is this, do I bolt them to the 6 cylinder radius arms, or fit the V8 Arms? I can't mock them up to work it out for myself at the moment, as the body is away being painted. However, I popped to the painter's the other day and put a tape measure across the lower radius arm, and its roughly 1 1/2" shorter than the V8 arm.

Are the bodies the same on all 65-67's, where the arms bolt on, or are the 6's different to the V8's?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing your advice.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.
When I say Radius Arm, I mean the suspension arm, and in this case the lower suspension arm. I appreciate the suspension is different, but is the suspension tower the same, so I could bolt the 67 arms to it? Somebody told me all the bodies are the same, and it's just the attachments that differ. Alternatively, would the 67 spindles fit the 65 (6 cyl) arms?

I have a V8 back axle, and my engine swap is all ready to drop in, but I want to sort the front suspension/brakes first.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
There are two lower suspension arms- the Lower Control Arm and the Strut Rod. Together with the frame rail they form a large triangle.
The two bolts that attach the Upper Control Arm to the shock tower on the '65/'66 are closer together than those on the '67 and later cars so the UCAs are not interchangeable.
The '67 spindles will bolt onto the ball joints of the '65. The 6 cylinder cars use the same UCA and LCA as the V8 cars, only the spindle is different.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
64.5 (65) to 66 were the same. 67 is when the chassis and engine bay changed to fit the big blocks. If you're going I6 to V8 you'll also have to change the coils to compensate for the weight of the V8 as compared to the I6.

·
Registered
19,953 Posts
The 67 and later lower control arm is longer then the 65-66. Ford did some suspension revision at the point to improve handling. I believe they also lowered the upper control arm.

The geometry is a bit different on the 67 & later spindles too. The arms on the spindle for the tie rods on them are about 7/16" shorter, angled in more about 3/8" and looking horizontally have 1/2" less offset. As you guessed it may lead to some bump steer. This will more show up when the suspension is lowered and more when the suspension gets unloaded. Don't worry it can be worked out.

There are two types of hubs. Disc and drum. Originally from Ford the disc was 2 piece with the rotor getting installed on the back side of the hub with the wheel studs holding it in place. The drums mounted on the outside of the hub. Many disc conversion or at least some of them from the aftermarket mounted the rotor on the outer side of the drum hub. I mention this as the 65-66 fenders are not that wide and that little bit can cause issues with tire clearance.

If you run across a set of 70-73 drum spindles, grab them. They're much stronger. I'm not a suspension expert, I don't do this for a living, I'm a electrician but I really got involved in my car when I installed a aftermarket suspension and just wanted to learn what I could which was a great help in setting it up. Feel free to contact me. Here's the company that I used. They have a great reputation for quality of parts that work and customer support. Shaun is from the UK. www.streetotrack.com

·
Registered
801 Posts
It's also very important to know that all the tie rods, drag link, pitman arm, and other steering hardware are very different. Do not play mix and match with i6/V8 steering stuff. You'll end up with really dangerous geometry issues even if you somehow made it work. The ackerman angles are different from the early spindles you've got compared to the later cars too, and that will very moderately affect handling as well.

I'd definitely talk to Shaun and see what he thinks. Not sure if the '67 spindles will be the easiest/best/most cost effective way to go, but if they can be made to work, he'll have a reasonable way to do it. He's actually at

Street Or Track

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I contacted Shaun at Street or Track, and he said that the 67 V8 spindles will bolt to the 65 6-cyl arms ok, and I just need to fit the 67 outer tie rods (steering?) as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts