Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an interesting thread on Stangnet about converting older engines to EFI. Only problem is nobody there could answer my questions! I did a search of the forum with no luck and figured I'd just throw this out for you guys to comment on.

I've got a 66 289 that's been stroked to a 302 on a stand in mid-assembly. As this will be going into what will be a daily driver, I'd like make it as friendly as possible.

How difficult would it be to convert my 289 to an EFI setup? Can I just take the stuff off a late model 5.0? I was thinking about doing a late model engine swap but since I have this one lying around, I'd like to make the best of it and do so affordably.

All comments greatly appreciated.

-Aaron

Houston, TX 67 Fastback in restoration. A-code, C-4, 9" Traction-Loc rear. Other than the engine I don't know what is original!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe" - Carl Sagan

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The simplest method is to use a throttle body like the holley. One advantage of a throttle body is the engine will keep a stick look to it but have the advantage of fuel injection. (i been investigating these options for myself but i have not bought)

2-barrel-
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FMSFI/502-20S.html

or

4-barrel
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FMSFI/9900-171.html

The problem with stripping off a factory system is the ECM. I assume there are aftermarket ECM's out there but i've never looked. If you use a factory ECM it expects all the inputs and outputs to be present which can be hard enough on a factory car.

MotorHead

G

·
0 Posts
Well, I guess you could use the 5.0l stuff on a 289, although it would probably be much easier to use a 5.0 instead of a 289.
You would need the intake,injectors,wiring,computer,various sensors,distributoralso you would need to have the exhaust custom made for the O2 sensors. Good Luck!

Was Bob Emmerich on old forum

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I don't know that I'd even try to upgrade a 289 to late-model EFI. For less trouble (and money probably) you could do a TBI setup from Holley or someone else (I think there's at least 1 other on the market) or even a multi-point aftermarket set up made for conversions of carbureted engines. Easier yet would be to snatch an entire EFI engine/harness/computer from a late model Ford product and put it in your car. Lord knows that's been done enough times to make it pretty foolproof. I'd leave the trailblazing to somebody else. Just my $.02.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assembli

G

·
0 Posts
Mustangs Plus had a "How-to" for doing just that very thing. In fact, I think it was in their catalog. I can
look. but it was very straight forward, and showed enough detail to make it look easy.

64.5 convertible (restomod in progress)
sold the COBRA for family sedan (new addition)

I dont need my wifes permission....
I'm not above begging forgiveness!!

G

·
0 Posts
I am in process of putting the ford fuel injection from a late model mustang on my 68 302. There are several issues that you need to consider. First the HO 5.0 does have the 351 firing order. You can use a 351 cam in a 302 if you want to go that route. You can also use a computer out of a non HO tbird or truck/bronco. The other big issue is the distributor gear issue. HO motors use a steel distributor gear, non ho motors us a iron one. The steel distributor gear will eat up a iron gear camshaft gear. I am using an 84 TFI distributor out of a non roller cam truck to deal with that issue. If you use a stock computer wiring harness, order a wiring diagram from HELMS. They are the best, but you will still have to modify and trace some wires. You also have to route a return fuel line for the system and use high pressure line on the pump side with a high pressure pump such as a bosch. The first thing to do is a lot of research. I have gathered all the pieces I need short of a few from ebay or the corral classifieds for about 200.00. I still have to buy that high pressure fuel pump though, and it is a bit expensive. Just do a search on the net with classic mustang fuel injection conversion and you will find a lot of info. I will update on my progress as soon as I get the remaining parts I need to actually do it. Right now I am just cleaning and polishing the stuff I have.

Jeff Crumpley
Austin, Texas
68 302 j-code coupe
99 5.0 Eddie Bauer Explorer

G

·
0 Posts
Check out Mustang Plus's main web site. They did the exact thing you are thinking of. They show some good pics but leave allot of info out. Read up first, the process is the same if it is a 302 or 289. Makes no diff.

G

·
0 Posts
There is a lot of misinformation out there with regards to doing this.
I have done precisely what you have suggested in a 302 in my 1970.
Don't worry about the firing order. Some have suggested rewiring the injectors to match the 289 firing order, but you will have much better running engine if you just leave it alone. Ideally you would want to use the 351 firing order to keep the sequential nature of the Mustang HO EFI. However things run just fine without. I have tried it both ways. I now run a recalibration with changes my firing order to match the cam, but this is really unnecessary.
Like another poster mentioned, you will need a cast iron distributor unless you have converted to a roller cam. You can buy just the gear from Ford, or get a distributor from a late eighties truck for instance.
The conversion for me was basically a bolt on. I would not go back to carburetion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts