Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original AC in 1966 Mustang (York compressor) that still had original refrigerant since at least 1984 and worked well until last year at which time the system had to be opened so all the R12 now gone - what would I need to do to convert to 134A refrigerant? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
Flush the system. Replace the hoses with 134a hoses. Replace the filter/drier. Replace the expansion valve. Replace the oil with ester oil. Install the 134a adapter service ports. Vacuum the system and charge with 134a.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Rreitz, you CAN change the hoses and valves, but, why ? You can still get R12, it just costs more than it used too. I'd consider that before I changed things over. LSG

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
There are usually cans of R12 on Craigslist or garage sales for $20-30 per can.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I want to change my compressor, I have a second York that is in nicer condition. Im wondering if an AC place will evac the system for me, then give me my R12 back after I do the work.

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
I want to change my compressor, I have a second York that is in nicer condition. Im wondering if an AC place will evac the system for me, then give me my R12 back after I do the work.
If they still have an R12 machine. Most shops got rid of them several years ago because they weren't being used.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I used to pick up the little cans all the time at yard sales and second hand shops. One yard sale I bought a case of cans with gauges for $5. It was a good deal.😁 Those have been long sold, but I still have a full large tank so it's still around. 134a is not as efficient as r12, but r12 cfc's are largely what caused our ozone depletion. Moral dilemma...

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,456 Posts
I haven't done it in years, but years ago I never could achieve cold AC when using R134 in an old York style compressor. Cool, but never cold. I was told the old compressors didn't make enough pressure for R134 to work efficiently. These days they sell upgraded condensers and evaporators for the swap too so there's more to the story. Now I DID have pretty good luck on original systems just upgrading the compressors to newer style ones and then just swapping o-ring seals on the various parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts