Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1965, Mustang Auto V8 Coupe
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the clip-on style window crank on my driver side bit it and is needing to be replaced. But, I'd like to take this opportunity to convert it to a screw-on.

Am I correct in that the only pieces needed to do this are a driver-side screw-on style window crank and the screw-on handle? Or, is there more to a conversion than just those two pieces? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I don’t believe the window crank arm can be removed from the regulator. I’m afraid you might have to get new regulators to make the change.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Pretty much. You’ll need the plastic door panel protectors, spring (reused from the early handles maybe) and the attaching screws as well.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Not a bad job. Couple of hours per side if you take the time to clean everything up, replace all the rollers and lube all the pivots and sliders.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Not a bad job. Couple of hours per side if you take the time to clean everything up, replace all the rollers and lube all the pivots and sliders.
agreed, not too hard. I changed both of mine...hated the clips. More of a pain removing the door panels without messing them up then replacing the mechanism with a screw type version.

·
Registered
1966 289 2V Coupe FMX Transmission 9-inch Axle
280 Posts
I just did this conversion. I had a '65 drivers door and a '66 passenger door. You will have to replace the window regulator and the door crank operator. When ordering the replacement parts make sure you order the right ones. They make two styles, one has a longer shaft for the deluxe interior, and then the short shaft for standard interior.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Might as well do both sides at the same time. Do one side and see what it takes to get the job started and completed. You'll have all the tools already out, and the memory is still fresh. The first side will take the longest, and then you'll buzz right through the second side.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
A tip for doing the job. If you happen to have access to some windlace, you can use it to pinch on the door opening edges that you’ll be moving your arms in and out of to work. Makes a good insulator and removed easily when you’re done. Helps keep the cut up arms to a minimum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.