Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking of replacing the 302 in my 72 vert w/a 351 cleveland.the cleveland is complete including an fmx tranny.my car has a c4 currently.would this be a very complicated job or would it just slip right in. also should i keep the c4 or use the fmx.the car is strictly street no racing or dragging but i do like to light it up once in awhile and the 302 is lacking in that dept. give me some advise people! thanks randy.
::

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
The C4 should be fine...maybe put a shift kit in it. The big C will bolt right up to it along with the engine mounts, starter and flywheel This is just about a bolt in job.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a '72 Grande parts car that used to be 351C but has no motor if you are looking for some small parts for the conversion. If you need mounts I'll have to check to see if they are still there.
-Brian

·
Registered
427 Posts
I did this exact swap. I put the H code 351c from my 72 Mach1 into my F code 72 'vert. You have to use the motor mounts from the 'vert but other than that, it is a 1:1 swap. The only hiccup was the power steering pump, although they are the same and it is easier to just unbolt it from the engine and leave it in the car, you need the spacer from the 351c to bolt it back on. The 302 spacer is too small. Other than that, piece of cake.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you glad you swapped. im not too familiar with clevelands this car is going to be a mach 1 clone so it should have the power of a mach. am i right or should i just keep my 302 and beef it up some? ::

·
Registered
427 Posts
The 302 that came with my car was shot and my 351c only has about 10k miles from the last rebuild. It was no contest. Some info about the motors would help. Is the 351c a 2v or 4v? Is the 302 stock? If they are both stock, the 351c is the way to go. If the 351c is a 4v I would get a new demon carb, some headers and a new dizzy/pertronix. If its a 2v I'd get all that and a new 4v intake. A new cam would really help either engine, but that is a little involved. If the 302 already has a 4v with a cam intake, headers and pullies, it will be stronger than a stock 351c 2v. It would have to be one kick a$$ 302 for me to not use the 351c. Just my $.02. ;)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I'd sure as heck do it! The 351 has awsome power! Like someone already said, if its a 2v put a 4v carb and intake set up, a nice cam, some headers, a dizzy, and a couple of other mods and you'll be set!

PS: I'd keep the C4 tranny. Lots more parts for them available if anything ever goes wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts