Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see alot of talk lately about electric fans,a/c and moving to a bigger alt.. I assume that all the 100amp alt's that are available are the single wire version.. So , would love to know how easy it is to make the single wire conversion

Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Pretty easy. Install the alternator, and either remove or just secure the old wiring harness that led to the old alternator. You should be sure and use a relatively heavy-gauge wire between the alternator and the starter solenoid post (some alternators, like PowerMaster, come with this wire). Unplug the voltage regulator, and you're done.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have a PowerMaster 100A alternator. It was supplied with all the mounting spacers and a new power wire. As the name implies, the entire electrical hookup involves connecting the wire back to the battery. Very few Mustang jobs are easier. You can either tape back or remove the existing wires to the regulator. I removed everything to eliminate clutter.

Lou

Wow, jester66 is fast on the draw!!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
We just fought with the GM 1-wire all weekend. Finally located a Pwermaster when we got home. Although a bit pricey buy the Powermaster, we had difficulties with 3 others. You migh try a local performance shop. We got ours through Vic Hubbard Performance Parts (But would have been able to order it through another performance shop if we were willing to wait.) Their # is 510) 786-3550 .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First - Thanks for the feedback!! I love this forum
Second - Stupid question .... The Summit ones are listed as "Early GM" style.... Does it fit with no mods ??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oops.. one more question - I saw an article about hooking one of these up in the 3 wire mode so it would self-excite ??

How did you guys hook yours up ??

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
Summit does not list everything they sell. Use the phone and talk to them personally. They can get you anything PowerMaster sells, including the polished units, which they don't list at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts