Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a late model 302 bellhousing fit an early model 4 speed? also is a late model 302 flywheel balanced the same as a early 289? I recently purchased a 66 t10 and everything needed to convert my 67 xr7 for 500 but not shure if it is worth the work. any info would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
680 Posts
Don't know for sure about the bellhousing, but, I know the flywheel will not work unless you have it rebalanced.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Bob Before you go to any more expense/trouble installing a T10, I'd like to make a suggestion.

Sell the T-10 to someone who is building a show car and has to have an original-style gearbox. Use the proceeds to buy a toploader or a T-5.

Now I know there are some people who like T10s here, but IME, they are too wimpy a gearbox to use behind an engine that makes any kind of serious power. They are also tough to get parts for in many cases. I know of at least 2 VMFers here that are dumping their T10s for toploaders.

My own experience with a T10 was with a 65 Falcon. 2nd gear failed twice on the thing... and this was only a 289 4v car - nothing too exotic.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The late model flywheel is different (50 oz) than the earlier (28 oz) IIRC. If is safe to use one if you also use the balancer and crank from a late model. In other words, more trouble then it is worth. Also, the late model bell housing is designed for the T5 that has a longer input shaft, about 3/4 inches longer I think. So your T10 will not seat correctly. But everything will bolt up just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts