Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new adjustable pushrod and a dual master cylinder for use on my 65 Mustang... the pushrod has a small spring retainer on the end of it, When I inserted the rod into the master cylinder, and I figured that it would "clip" or "lock" into place and held into the MC by the retainer. However, the retainer only provides some resistance when sliding the rod into the MC, and does not actually lock in place. Is this correct?, or should the MC pushrod actually be held into the MC by the clip? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The clip is not necessary IMO. It keeps the rod from falling out of the MC when it is not connected to the pedal. If it can fall out when the MC is bolted in, and the rod is connected to the MC, then the rod is too short. I removed mine during my MC swap.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'm planning to convert one of my cars from power drums to manual discs. I would be interested in part numbers, sources, and prices on your M/C conversion, if it is to manual disc brakes.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Glenn,

Out of curiosity, if you already have power on the car, why wouldn't you just install the discs and leave it set up with power? Just curious....

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Ken - The reason I am deleting the power assist is because it is on my 65 Cyclone.

While early Comet/Falcon/Fairlane engine compartments are VERY similar to an early Mustang's, the cowl height is higher and the cowl-to-shock-tower braces (much steeper angle) make even the single-pot drum-brake booster and cylinder just about impossible to service.

Also, I prefer the mechanical simplicity of manual brakes...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts