Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a 351w from a 94 f250 in my 68 fb, and I figure since I have the 94 alternator, I might as well use it. Is there anything specific I have to do with wiring this new alternator? Or should I stick with the alternator from my old 302?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I would go with the newer alternator, it most likely has a higher output. Here is a helpful post

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,744 Posts
I would certainly use it if it is a 90 amp "3G". The 94's also came with the older "2G"s which are OK but not a large improvement at 75amps. I like 3G alternators. I've put one in my 67, SWMBO's 86, and lately even forced one into my 87 Bronco. All work great.
Here is a very helpful post about the particulars of wiring one. Here I've had little difficulty myself. You will need the pigtail harness for the alternator. If you don't have one you can get one from a junkyard. Wreckers are often reluctant to cut wiring harnesses so ask for one from a 96 Mustang V6 car. It unplugs from both ends. Some others also unplug and many don't, the Mustang I know for sure unplugs. The harness will plug right into your 94 F250 3G alternator. I don't believe you can simply swap your 90 amp 3G(if that's what you have) for the more popular Mustang 130 amp version. The 130 amp is phsically larger and likely won't fit your bracket. I had a bear of a time getting one to fit my Bronco's 2G bracket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts