Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always just run my rebuilt stock distributor and Petronix module with flamethrower coil. (See other specs on car below) I am pondering an upgrade. Would it just be a waste to get new billet distributor without new electronics (like MSD6A)? Would it be a waste to get new electronics and keep distributor stock? How much difference would there really be from what I have now to new electronic ignition and new distributor combo?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Yup. IMHO. not much difference. I'm very happy with just a Pertronix, stock wires and stock coil.

How about headers, exhaust, heads.....etc?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
the only thing I'll say is apparently the ignitor can burn out easily (i'm betting is some yahoos scratching their heads about limiting the coil current with a ballast resistor)

and the aftermarket dizzys can be tweaked easier for a better mechanical advance curve.

but you'll spend 300 or more on a new dizzy and 6A.....and you can tune the stock dizzy if youre diligent!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
it scores poorly on the bang for the buck meter. you will get what at most 2 hp improvment in the engines horsepower over the pertronix and flamethrower combination at what cost? divide dollars by horsepower to get bang for the buck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the honest input. Sounds like there is not enough 'bang for buck' to justify the money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts