Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was filling the 66 at the local Arco, a guy walks up and says "Nice Mustang. That's my 65 over there".

Now this guy had about 3 teeth, hair that was styled with a butcher knife and last combed in the 60's, reeking of dope and wearing thrift store rejects. His Stang, however, made him look good in comparison. Sorriest rustbucket excuse of a Stang I ever saw! Bashed, muti-colored panels held loosely together with ribbons of rust.

BUT ... He was damn proud of it and jumped at the opportunity to swap stories with a fellow Stanger. He was full of dreams of how he was going to restore it, get 500 HP under the hood etc. I chatted with him till I started getting buzzed from his breath, he went in to load up on Twinkies, and I went back to work.

The moral of this story is, what other car affords you the opportunity to rub shoulders with all walks of life? Can you imagine someone with a bashed up Lexus being that proud of what their driving? I just thought it was kind of a unique experience. Man, I got the munchies, any Doritos around here?

DanM
66 Coupe, check her out at http://www.66CoupeNW.stangnet.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

·
Registered
926 Posts
Dude, If I'd known you were going to crack on me I wouldn't have even walked over to talk to you. You don't have any papers do you?

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575122&a=11977248&p=43129084.jpg
66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Of course we all get enjoyment out of driving our stangs, but the unsolicited attention and interaction with other mustang owners (regardless of social station or political bent) is just something extra and fun! Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

G

·
Who Needs dope, until I get the wheel wells and rear qtr's patched and/or replaced...I got EXHAUST

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
or maybe one of my acquaintances - But he had too many teeth

Beri Fraley
Strong, Proud, and Ugly.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
You don't live in or near Goofy Ridge, IL do you? I think I've talked to this guy. He uses the exhaust for a bong.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,668 Posts
I find that many people just appreciate nice cars. enough so that they take the initiative to start a conversation. I get comments all the time in traffic and at the gas station. Just yesterday, a middle aged gal in a mid 80's Chevy Caprice started asking me questions about my Mustang while we were waiting at a red light. She even asked if I wanted to Race!!! I had to remind her that I was in the left turn lane because I was turning left and she was going straight. I had the same experience with my 911 due in large part to the stunning paint job on that car. Everyone wanted to know what the color was called. (Horizon Blue for you Porsche types out there). I guess it's one of the "burdens" of Mustang ownership...one i can live with!!

67 Vintage Burgandy 390GTA with most of the bells and whistles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts