Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Neat

Thanks for sharing that. It's nice to see cool little mods like this.

Is that self contained or is there a transmitter that you have to mount somewhere else?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It's a Homelink transmitter used by a lot of different manufacturers.
It is self contained and hard wired to the car, that's what you see going into the mounting rod. The unit has about .25" of electronics sunk into the headliner. These days most mfg's are using the rear view mirror to mount the buttons, you can use them to operate garage doors or anything Homelink connected - maybe like a light in the house.
That's a cool mod - looks great!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So first I had to remove it from the existing visor.

The I had to separate the transmitter from the button.

Separating the mustang visit was much harder, but a Seam ripper made the job easier.

Be careful with the material it tears easily and the metal tabs at the end have Barb's.

You can separate the upper half and the lower half with a x-acto knife.

Make an outline of the transmitter and cut it out for a recess. I took a bit of time cutting out a little bit and then test fitting it.

Next I put the transmitter in and cut little circles out where the buttons would go through.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once I had all of that done I test fitted it together

Now I had to route the wiring.

Make sure that you pull the wiring connectors out of the headliner in the donor car. This will be installed up in the headliner of the mustang.

I unpinned the plug and ran the wire through some heat shrink and pulled the mount out of the visit, it's tight but it will pull out. I also used a little bit of smaller heat shrink to run the wire up into the head liner.
i used some glue and clamps to start the reassembly.

I used upholstery thread the a needle and just ran it through the existing holes. Lastly I clamped the silver tabs on the end. The red is hot and grey is ground. The program it i watched a YouTube video.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone for the positive feedback, I'll be posting other mods shortly after I fix my hail damage (I live in Colorado)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts