Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pondering about coolants. If there are so many of us, like myself, who's toy never will see freezing conditions, is there a better coolant than Ethelyne Glycol?? Would the system operate better with just some rust inhibitors?? Why not just run deionized water without any additive??

So it comes down to one subject item: If the singular objective is to chose the most efficient heat transfer fluid available. What is that fluid???

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
About 15% Propoline Glycol in distilled water is very efficient. DI water won't do you any good because as soon as you poor it into the system it isn't DI water anymore. Remember that you also need to have lubricant in the system for the water pump, and rust inhibitors, so straight water of any kind is not good for the system on a long term basis.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I always use distilled water (live in N. CA), and a 50/50 mix of good antifreeze. I also use Redline Water Wetter which is a very good rust stabilizer in addition to helping the engine to run cooler. In fact, at Sears Point the teams evidently run distilled water and Water Wetter for better heat transfer. Haven't seen it but that's the rumor.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
A good temperature control mixture if you aren't facing freezing temperatures is distilled water and a bottle of Red Line Water Wetter. Red Line claims that is the most efficient cooling mixture. I'm running about 30% glycol, distilled water and Water Wetter. Great temp control.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder what they race teams are running. Teams like the GT (24-hr) guys are using. A Glycol & Water mix is not as efficient as plain water for heat transfer. But the key issue is corrosion. If the system were fully closed with no method of air entrant simple Reverse Osmosis water would be the best. It is mineral and bacteria free. However, the systems are NOT air tight, so... It sounds like R-O or Distilled water with "Water-Wetter" as a corrosion additive is the best. Right???

Hal, with all due respect, lubrication is a non-issue. I can attest that lip seals will last many years using only water as a lubricant. I am not even going to address the subject of water being a lubricant or a solvent....

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I use distilled water and Water Wetter and the car has never overheated even in the blistering 110 degree heat up here.

·
Registered
99 Posts
RedLine oil has this to say about coolant/water "Water in the cooling system is capable of transferring twice as much heat out of the same system as compared to a 50/50 glycol coolant and water solution. In order for a 50/50 glycol mixture to reject as much heat as water (amount of heat rejected is independent of the coolant), the temperature differentials at the heat transfer surface must be twice as great, which means higher cylinder head temperatures." found here http://www.redlineoil.com/products.htm .
Most race sanctioning bodies require that you use only water (RL wwetter is allowed) to avoid spoiling the race surface in the event of a crash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts