Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I had removed the manifold from my engine to replace a plug that was missing. When I pulled off the manifold, I lifted from the front first, causing a large amount of coolant to drain into the engine the block. Once the manifold was off, I sucked out all of the coolant and replaced all of the seals and put the manifold back on. I then drained my oil pan and changed the oil and filter. Now, when I start the car and check the oil, the oil is still registering with a white-esh tint. Could this be residual coolant? Or did one of the seals not seal properly? Is there any way to trace a coolant leak?

When I changed the oil, I jacked the rear of the car up so all fluids would go toward the drain plug. I poured oil through the engine until it ran out through the pan as the same color as the oil. Thanks in advance for any help.

Deathman68

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Next time you take off the intake manifold, open the drain ****s on the side of the block and drain out the coolant that's in the block.

Unless you have other issues, changing the oil once should have removed the coolant that trickled into the block from above.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Excact same thing happened to me. I pulled the manifold off to install a Edlebrock manifold and carb, its a long story, but I ended taking off the new setup and re-installing the stock manifold and 2bb carb. After I did that my oil was very milky looking, I pulled the manifold off again, changed the gaskets again, putting a nice bead of RTV sealent around the water passages on the block and manifold. Drained oil, refilled, let it sit over night, and fired it up the next morning, and no milk in the oil. I think I didnt get a good seal around it the first time around or something shifted. I even used cut off bolts in the manifold bolt holes to guide by maifold back on to the block. I also made sure to get the Fel-Pro brand gaskets, as recommend by this forum. Good luck

·
Registered
337 Posts
I make a living by repairing postal trucks. Oil makes its way into the coolant. think of the pressure differential. maybe 15 lbs coolant vs. 90 psi oil. If there were a problem, oil would be in coolant. However, if you pull off the radiator cap and you hear a glug glug glug, maybe there is a leak into the cylinders. good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts