Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, hope everyone is safe and healthy!
So I noticed a coolant leak when I was taking the Mustang to the grocery store to keep the battery charged and run the engine a little since I don't drive her very much anymore. Noticed a coolant leak as I was coming out so once I got home, tried to look for the leak but it was difficult to locate. Could have been from water pump which was replaced 6-8 months ago. Order the coolant dye and the glass/flashlight to really locate the leak. It looks like it's coming from the timing cover so it's a little more complicated than I was hoping it to be since I've never done timing cover/chain before. So since I'm taking everything off to replace the gaskets, I was thinking I should replace the timing chain and sprockets. Don't know when or how many miles is on the current chain. Engine is a little tired but still runs well enough. So my questions are and may have more:

1: I believe the stock chain/sprocket is a single, do I need to stick with a single or can I go with a double roller timing chain/sprocket?
2: Since I don't need to replace the water pump, do I just remove the longer bolts that goes through the cover to the block and keep the pump attached to the cover?
3: How do I know if I need to replace the damper while I have it out?
4: So I see videos where it says to have the timing at TDC before taking the cover off. If it reads 0 on the damper, I could still be on the the exhaust stroke and not compression stroke? So I should remove the #1 and if it pushes air out when it's moving to 0, then I'm on the compression stroke?

Appreciate any help!
Thanks

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
You can go double roller
if your doing the chain take all the bolts out
is the rubber all dried and cracked ?
after you have the timing cover off you can put the balancer on and align the marks on the gears and note the relation of the balancer mark

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Take the pump off first, then the timing cover. In order to remove the cover you'll have to (obviously) remove the damper. You can "rent" a puller for the damper at one of the local chain stores - the Zone, Advanced, etc. it's a free rental as long as you bring it back in time.
Once you have the cover off you can manually crank the engine with a ratchet to line up the timing marks on the gears.
A double-roller will fit to replace the single.

Reactions: qbui

·
Registered
35,317 Posts
Be prepared to find the aluminum timing cover corroded around the water ports, causing the leak. When they get this bad replacement is typically indicated. If it's a minor leak due to gasket failure or minor corrosion you can sometimes "restore" the sealing surface by gluing emery paper to a scrap piece of plate glass and sliding the cover over the paper with a minimum of downward force, in an "x" pattern, cleaning the residue with Brakleen (or equivalent) and continuing until you have a uniform, shiny surface all around.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips and advice! BTW, it's a stock 302 with no history of the engine.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
...and look closer for the leak. it might just be one of the long bolts. In that case just remove the bolt, apply plenty of pooky(some use RTV I used type 3 gasket maker) and re-torque the bolt. You might get lucky and that be all it needs. DONT OVER MUSCLE THE BOLT TIGHT!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tightened the bolts as much as I could with the fan and radiator still intact and still leaked.

So I pretty much got the water pump removed but having trouble removing the crank pulley bolts. Even stepped on it while trying to loosen but it still turns. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Used a battery impact wrench but probably not strong enough. Don't have electric or pneumatic so I have to see if I can rent one somewhere.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I have 2 more questions that I need help with.

1: Is the bolt for the harmonic balancer long enough for me to install the balancer or do I need to rent the install tool?
2: What is the best way to remove the seal from the timing chain cover without scarring up the edges? Don't have a press. I have a seal puller but it doesn't have enough lip to use the puller.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK so I got the seal off. I carefully used a small flat screw driver on the inside lip and tapped it over. Then I turned the cover over and used that bent lip to drive the seal out. Just have the first question about the balancer bolt being long enough or not to install the balancer.
Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is long enough but you should use a harmonic balancer installer for about 45 bucks or you can make one out of threaded rod, a few nuts and a piece of tubing or many flat washers stacked up. check youtube for ideas.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info! I can rent it at O'reilly's but didn't want to rent if didn't have to.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ya, i think the threaded rod is 7/16 fine, just compare it your balancer bolt threads. Just thread the rod all the way into the crank until bottoms out, slip the harmonic over the rod and onto the crank then use the large flat washers to build up a stack against the harmonic, then thread a nut onto the threaded rod to push the harmonic onto the crank. Use two more nuts locked together on the threaded rod to hold the rod in place with a wrench, you also use these locked together nuts to remove the rod from the crank shaft once the balancer is in place.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So hopefully, I'll clean off the old gaskets and install the chain/cover/pump... this weekend and change the oil. I have a question about these cork gaskets I got with the gasket kit. So currently my pan has a gasket already. Do I still use the cork gasket at the bottom of the timing chain cover also so there will be 2 gasket at the corners?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finished installing the timing chain, cover, water pump, pulleys, belts, radiator. Drained ATF, oil and filled up including radiator and when I was filling the oil, I noticed I purchased a blend and it was too late, it was already in the engine so I just ran the engine until it got up to operating temp and then drained it. Got some conventional oil to replace. When it first ran, it sounded different. Possibly because I forgot to oil the chain and sprockets. Noise went away after awhile. Checked for leaks and didn't notice any. Checked timing and it was same as before. Took her for a drive and she ran well. Some of the noise I notice within the past 6 months went away so maybe the timing chain was on its way out.

So I did rent the harmonic balancer installer tool but ended up just using the balancer bolt to drive it in. Also didn't use the cork corner pieces since I already have gaskets in those areas. Just used extra RTV at the corners. A lot longer than I thought but it's my first time and everything usually takes longer than I had plan for.

Thanks for all the tips and help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts