Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My engine has been puking coolant for a while now and this weekend I drained the coolant and pulled out my spark plugs and the back 2 spark plugs on the passenger side appear to have some kind of splashing on them (whitish?).

I have a picture if anyone knows what coolant looks like on a spark plug.

Or....maybe it's something else.

Thanks, Greg.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Are you sure it is coolant? If it a white powder substance it might just mean a hot combustion chamber, normal. What does your exhaust look like if you step on the gas? Is there any loss of power/performance? If there is excessive black smoke and a power/performance problem then it sounds like a blown head gasket.
If you are just loosing coolant it could mean that your timing cover gasket is blown and leaking coolant into the oil, one of the many things that could be happening.
Do you notice any leaks?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
When oil and water come together in an engine it makes a color that is off white, kind of like a milk color with a touch of chocolate flavoring (coloring). If there is coolant on the plugs, then you might expect to see beads of water. Fuel would lay flat.

At first glance it looks to me like you might have lost a head gasket. Are there any signs of coolant in the oil.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My oil looks nice and clean and I can't tell if I have smoke coming out the back unless I have someone follow me around.

I do have white smoke at start up that disappears after about 1 /2 minutes of idle, then my exhaust burns clean.

Greg.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
With a slight leak, white smoke at start up would also indicate a blown head gasket. If you want to be more sure you could run a leak down test.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Two tests will tell you what you need to know. First pressure test the cooling system cold and see if it holds pressure. If not you've got a leak somewhere. Second is a chemical test where you check the engine hot for the presence of CO in the coolant. Most garages have this--looks like a turkey baster with fluid in it. Color change is what your looking for. If you fail the second test, pull the heads and have a look since you are leaking combustion product into the coolant. And yes white smoke at startup is a sign of coolant in the combustion chamber.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts