Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was looking through some old photos of the Mustang (from just after I bought it from the previous owner 20 years ago) and I noticed that he had an overflow jug screwed to the inner engine bay (just left of the washer bag on the drivers side) and it sat at about 1/4 full when the car wasn't running.

I just noticed it in the pictures last night and it got me to thinking. I am having cooling problems with the system and because the coolant expands so much that I have let the coolant level fall beneath the top rows of the rad. When you looking in the top of the rad you don't see any coolant, but yet when the engine runs it rises and spits out the rad.

Question: Did the previous owner have a better system for cooling? If I hooked up the same type of system would I just have even more coolant blowing out the top of the rad or would the extra ( 1/2 litre ?) of coolant actually cool the engine better?

Just currious....Thanks, Greg.

Thanks, Greg.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
The whole idea of those over flow containers is to keep the engine/radiator completely full of coolant at all times ! Container should be up when hot / low when cool . ::

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
If you hook it up correctly it will cool a little bit better, but more importantly your radiator will always be full to the brim. This reduces the oxidation that will occur over time. Further you will not have puddles under the car ever.

A lot of VMFers and others have gone with the stainless steel tubes that use the radiator mounting points - they look pretty nice. Fatrodder on e(b)ay sells them for less than $35 bucks last time I checked. (I paid full price for mine, and I get no commission).

John Harvey

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, it looked good to me, and it makes sense. I also assume that more coolant means more cooling capability.

Any idea what size overflow tube I should get? There appears to be 13", 15" and 17". Is bigger better for when the coolant expands?

Greg.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
You don't need a large one. Mine is pretty small, but more than adequate. The chrome ones look nice, but you can't look at them and see the fluid level the way you can a clear plastic one. Just depends on how important functionality is to you.

·
Registered
692 Posts
In this case, bigger doesn't mean better. The tank should be sized to accomodate the amount of coolant that your radiator/cap purges. Any of those (13,15 or 17") will work, but I think I remember reading that the 15" matched the radiator bolt pattern so no holes had to be drilled. I'm using a 15" with mine, but I've got a different radiator. They look great.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
15"

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Hey Greg, when I was at the salvage yard getting the granada upgrade brake stuff, I got to poking around some ranger trucks and noticed the coolant/windshield washer reservoir and thought, hey that would work and I would have the coolant reservoir and the washer reservoir all at once. It works great! It is a little larger than one of those fancy stainless gadgets that are much prettier, but hey, it was free (no, I did not lift it! :eek: the yard guy said no problem I could have it cause I do alot of bizz there!) ::

G

·
0 Posts
I ordered a stainless 15" catch-can from (horrors!) JC Whitney and the bolt holes lined up perfectly. It was only $50 in stainless and looks mahvelous.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Don't you have to have a different pressure cap on the radiator for the thing to function as anything but a catch can? The radiator will purge into the tank, but can it pull from the tank back to the radiator? I don't think so because the coolant in the catch can can't get past the gasket on the pressure cap. No? Please correct me if I'm wrong on this (I know I can depend on you guys.) ::

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i'm useing the same thing as gwstang, i got my washer/coolent thingy from a 84 f-150.. works great jace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts