Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Coupe, 302
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have tackled a few major mods - I'm turning my attention to the engine bay. For a 65 coupe, it's crowded with A/C, Flaming River P/S, electric fuel pump and tons of random wires that are just flapping in the wind. For now, I want to address the Coolant Return Tank - this one is bulbous and ugly. I don't even know if it's working because fluid is leaking out but there is no significant water level in the tank. I've seen some nice tanks at Summit and Amazon - curious what some of you are doing with these systems for your DD.
Coolant Return Tank.jpg

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,290 Posts
Honestly I'm thinking ill run a fox body tank inside the fender with just the fill cap sticking into the bay.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
I've run various different overflow tanks (plastic bottles, now SS, etc). But not much action happens. It seems once it gets over it's initial burp, the level stays the same.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have a stainless steel from summit. It seems to work well. I have checked a few times and definitely has more in it when it's hot vs cold.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Now that I have tackled a few major mods - I'm turning my attention to the engine bay. For a 65 coupe, it's crowded with A/C, Flaming River P/S, electric fuel pump and tons of random wires that are just flapping in the wind. For now, I want to address the Coolant Return Tank - this one is bulbous and ugly. I don't even know if it's working because fluid is leaking out but there is no significant water level in the tank. I've seen some nice tanks at Summit and Amazon - curious what some of you are doing with these systems for your DD. View attachment 763980
To start your electric fuel pump should be in the rear close to the tank,they are meant to push not pull fuel.
I have been thinking of one of those round ones beside the rad as well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used a coolant/washer tank with integrated washer pump from an 80’s Lincoln towncar. This one was NOS. I trimmed the mounting tabs and made some brackets. Works perfectly and it’s a factory Ford part! I think one from an early Bronco would work as well.

Don‘t mind the dust. I’ve cleaned it up since I took the pic.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Coupe, 302
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used a coolant/washer tank with integrated washer pump from an 80’s Lincoln towncar. This one was NOS. I trimmed the mounting tabs and made some brackets. Works perfectly and it’s a factory Ford part! I think one from an early Bronco would work as well.

Don‘t mind the dust. I’ve cleaned it up since I took the pic.

View attachment 764254
That looks good - fits in there nicely.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I put the long aluminum tube on my 65 and this Ranger one on my 67. $30 on ebay + $13 for the washer pump.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I'm using this Canton tank. I got it cheap at Amazon Prime. One thing I like is the sight tube on the side.

Reactions: amccue

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I'm using a Moroso tank. This has a threaded bung on the bottom and I'll just dump the overflow down to the ground (it shouldn't overflow once I get everything setup).

Looks like you might have room to mount it lower than you have the plastic one now.

Reactions: amccue

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I decided to save my dual tank for a later project and went with the cylinder catch can and the oem washer tank on my 67.

I like oem-ish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts