Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm still working on my cooling system problems. Basically it runs hot and spits coolant.

Issue 1:
The car runs hot at idle and low speeds, but as soon as I get it on the highway with "major air" moving through the front it runs a lot cooler, in fact it seems to sit below the half mark. That's not bad. I do have a 1 1/2 inch fan shroud at home that I am planning on putting on but I really can't see it changing things that much.

Issue 2:
When I run the engine kinda hard the 13# rad cap doesn't hold the coolant. I put a 16# on and that helps but I almost need an 18# if they make one.

Do these sound like average cooling system problems? Do they sound related? I have a fairly "newly used" 3 row radiator.

Thanks, Greg.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The fan shroud might be enough to get you over the top. What ratio are you running ,coolant to water? How about some of the coolant additives that increase efficency(sp)?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
1. Is the radiator clean and flowing freely?
2. How many blades on the fan? More will pull more air.
3. What temp thermostat? A 160 will run a lot cooler, but you'll have to change back to a 180 or so for your winters.
4. 2 row or 3 row radiator?
5. ::You really don't want a higher pressure cap. It will be better to blow out the tube than blow a hose or gasket trying to relieve pressure!

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Your issue #1 is a common curse in the area I live in. You could try the shroud; but I don't think it will help enough at the lower speeds. You might try a different fan or add an electric fan.

I'm not quite understanding your issue #2, it seems to contradict your issue #1 in that you stated at highway speeds you run cool. Are you blowing out after you stop or while driving? Seems like radiator cap could be bad.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
A (clean) three row, a six blade fan, and a shroud should be sufficient. Get a coolant recovery tank (street rodder on e(b)ay sells a nice stainless steel one for less than $35).

A high pressure cap will just cause the next weak link to break, find the source of the problem.

I would not go to a 160 thermo, ideally you want your car to run at the same temperature all the time, that way the parts wear together. If the temperature changes a lot, then parts wear out faster because the parts expand and contract at different rates in respoinse to the different temperatures - that changes the tolerances and causes extra wear.

John Harvey

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Add the shroud, get the radiator rodded and switch over to distilled water and Red Line Water Wetter. If you haven't already changed the thermostat you should do that too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts