Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 289. Ever since I got the car Ive had overheating problems. I recently installed a 4 row radiator that keeps it cool at half temperature. I only drive to and from work and it remains cool. This weekend I took a 3hr drive to visit the parents back home and I encountered an hours worth of traffic and my engine soared to over 4/5 of the temp gage. Its a stock gauge so I dont really know the exact temperatures it is reaching. I have a Gano Filter on my top radiator hose and the radiator is new so its not clogged, I flushed my system out a couple weeks ago, and I am not running a thermostat figuring the engine is always getting a supply of cool water. Everytime I clean out the filter there is large particles of what looks like brownish reddish rocks. Anything you guys recommend would be appreciated, perhaps I should put in the thermostat again.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
a shroud does wonders for cooling when stopped......

definitely need a thermostat (or a restrictor plate in it's place)....it slows down coolant flow so the radiator can do its job better

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Get your system reverse flushed brownish particles in your Gano filter suggest corrosion in your water jackets.....

There are treatments that dealers and stroes sell to help flush your system out....I had to flush my bronco's system out three times before the coolant stayed a nice green color....

Before that, my pops didn't drive it much....so it did alot of sitting....Until I got my hands on it :)

Get a thermostat too......

also try removing your temp sender and cleaning or replacng it....
clean the terminal as well....so you have a true reading.

good luck!!!

make sure you have a shroud too

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
In addition to adding a 180 degree thermostat and shroud, you might consider RedLine Water Wetter. It makes the coolant more efficient. I also use a clutch driven seven bladed fan. It moves a lot of air. You could also have a blockage in the block but probably not. Keep removing the rubble from the Gano filter. It is amazing how much crap is in the system, but remember that you have cast iron and aluminum so some of it no doubt comes from that, however Water Wetter is supposed to neutralize that as well and has in my case. I run a modified 302 in my '65 convert. and it rarely deviates more than 5 degrees regardless of the weather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts