Vintage Mustang Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Update: I ended up pulling the shroud and fan completely off for the track, left everything else alone. I also pulled 2 degrees out of my WOT timing just to be safe. It’s 92 here in Portland and I’ve made it through three 20 minute sessions and the highest she got was 228 in traffic which I don’t mind at all. If I wanted to cool her down I just gave some room between The car in front and myself and ran that way. The track is super hot so it’s getting slick so I’m just taking it easy but still hitting 135-140 down the straights so I’m pretty happy. I’m sure if I pulled the condenser out and took the grill off she would cool down a little more but I’m happy, I don’t see any reason to do that when I only track her 2-3 times a month. Thanks for the input from everyone!

Reactions: QuietChris

·
Registered
241 Posts
Glad things worked out were you running with a Cascade Motorsports club in the Tustin tune day or some other event? Cuz we had races there last weekend and this weekend is lucky dog I believe it's going to be hot for them

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Glad things worked out were you running with a Cascade Motorsports club in the Tustin tune day or some other event? Cuz we had races there last weekend and this weekend is lucky dog I believe it's going to be hot for them
No, I was doing a SCCA track night at Portland International. It wasn’t too bad, peaked at about 95 somewhere in the day but I hear Saturday was like 115 there. Fortunately I live up on the coast in northern Washington where it was only in the 80’s yesterday!

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,578 Posts
Since it seems most everything is covered, the shroud and fan seem like the airflow restriction at speed, as some have stated. Since you have a stock front balance, and I assume bumper, you don’t have the intake area as Mark. In addition to removing the shroud and possibly the fan, you might try one of those radiator gap covers to make sure you squeeze every bit of air through there you can. At high speeds, those fin gaps aren’t as flow though as any open space around them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Since it seems most everything is covered, the shroud and fan seem like the airflow restriction at speed, as some have stated. Since you have a stock front balance, and I assume bumper, you don’t have the intake area as Mark. In addition to removing the shroud and possibly the fan, you might try one of those radiator gap covers to make sure you squeeze every bit of air through there you can. At high speeds, those fin gaps aren’t as flow though as any open space around them.
I think it all depends on how the shroud was built and what it's meant for I run a full shroud in my Cobra and never have any issues with overheating and I'm up at 160 mph plus in Portland on the street same thing was Seattle. But I do run electric fans unless it's really really hot I don't use them only on pre-grid where I'm idling before the 5-minute mark. But it sure seems to be part of his problem

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,578 Posts
I think it all depends on how the shroud was built and what it's meant for I run a full shroud in my Cobra and never have any issues with overheating and I'm up at 160 mph plus in Portland on the street same thing was Seattle. But I do run electric fans unless it's really really hot I don't use them only on pre-grid where I'm idling before the 5-minute mark. But it sure seems to be part of his problem
Yeah, I’m swagging here. Just wondering if the Mustang grill opening is as sufficient as say, your Cobra. I’m thinking Shelby may have opened up that valance for more than just oil cooling, but once again, just spitballing.

Reactions: 1965MustangTrackCar

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I actually have a radiator gap cover already. Guarantee that the Mustang grille is part of the issue as well with the stock valence and bumper. I thought about messing with that too but again, only track her 2-3 times a month so if pulling the shroud and fan off will keep her happy I’ll do that before putting a Shelby valence on it or messing with the grille anymore. And of course I know the condenser doesn’t help regardless of whether I take the belt off the compressor, it’s still slowing the airflow through the radiator.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I bet you don't even need to pull the fan. Just unplug or route a new switch to turn it off, it a let it spin freely with the airflow coming through the radiator. It's the fan being on and spinning that is causing the biggest issue. The fan speed doesn't match the speed of air coming through and therefore they are fighting against each other. One you finish a run you can just flip the switch and it will come on and help cool the car.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts