Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve - I asked the seller of those coolant cans if it was a 'true coolant recovery system' as opposed to a catch can. The answer I got was a little unclear. This was our exchange:

Are these tanks simply 'catch cans' or are they true coolant recovery
units?
TIA
>
> --------------------
>
>
how do you defind coolant recovery units?

these tanks have an inlet and an overflow, o-ring sealed cap
dean

One that tuly recylces the coolant as opposed to simply keeping it from
> discharging onto the ground. In other words, one that will 'suck' the coolant
> back into the radiator as it cools.
>
> Thanks.
having it recylces depends on how you hook it up.

Since you own one, can you clarify for me? I'm not sure what he means by "how you hook it up".

Thanks.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
It looks like the one I bought from carparts.com . It has a knurled screw-on cap with an O-ring seal. There are two tubes on the bottom. A short input tube is welded to the bottom and barely extends thru. An overflow vent-tube is welded next to the input tube, but extends almost all the way to the top.

So when the motor warms up and the radiator cap vents, coolant is pushed into the recovery canister thru the input tube on the bottom. When the motor cools, coolant is pulled back into the motor. If coolant is pushed into the recovery canister past its capacity, it overflows out the vent tube.

So, yes, it is a recovery cansiter, not simply a puke can.

I haven't mounted mine yet, but the L-brackets provided don't do it for me. I bought some aluminum U-channel, which I'll polish and drill for mounting next to the radiator. This should free up some space next to my windshield washer resevoir for my MSD 6A...

[color:blue]
1967 Acapulco Blue coupe
302 4V, C4, 9" 3.25:1
Torq-Thrust "D" 225-60-14
1968 PDB, Corbeau
LeCarra, Alpine in-dash CD
http://www.geocities.com/mlnielsen_67/index.htm
WEBSITE UPDATED 3/25/01
</font color=blue>

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Mark. You know what is funny, I think those things have been bid up to $42 now. There is also a minimum $5.50 shipping. Go to the guy's website who's auctioning them off (hotrodsusa.com) and you can get the same thing (in stainless - which I prefer to aluminum, anyway) for $42.50 - SHIPPED!

You gotta love that auction mentality.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts