Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PO put copper fuel line from tank to torque box in my '68 6-cyl and left steel line in thru torque box to rubber from engine compartment to fuel pump - debating whether to leave it or put new OE line from Classic Tube which will cost me $60. anyk thing wrong with copper fuel line?

·
Registered
391 Posts
IMHO copper is a lot softer and less durable than steel lines for the purpose intended and likely more prone to failure; any failure could be catstrophic. I doubt if you could purchase a purpose made copper fuel line. Do me a favor and change it.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Don't panic just yet, but you might want to cough up the $60 and go for steel lines. Copper is okay, but isn't very strong.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I've used aluminum fuel lines on the race car for years without complaint...Copper is a little softer and has less tensile strength than aluminum.

I'd suggest, in an OEM car which sees public road duty, that you replace them at your earliest convenience. Along with brake lines, the fuel lines were the first things I replaced on my D-coder after I bought it...

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
Dissimilar metals in contact could cause galvanic corrosion. I would spring for the steel lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts