Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I'm being lazy, but does anyone know the size of the copper washers used on the outside of the 8" pumpkin that go under the nylock nuts? I'm putting in my traction-lock this weekend and, here's a radical thought, want to buy all of the parts ahead of time. Already have the gasket and axle seals. The existing unit does not have washers but they are called for in the manual and make sense to use since they are used as thrust bearing surfaces. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Go to a Ford parts place, and get them. They'll run you a couple of bucks, and if you tell them you have an 8", they'll give you the correct ones...

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I think they're 3/8"? I bought a kit from Currie when I did mine. NAPA on Redwood Dr probably has those washers. Don't forget the stinky traction-lock additive.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Don't waste your time or money. Picture yourself under the car with a chisel, banging away at those copper gaskets, trying to remove the pumpkin. Not fun, and frankly of no use. I use UltraBlack sealant and no gasket at all. never leaks, and no chiseling.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, the copper washers come off quite easily. They provide a much higher level of thrust protection against snapping off the studs that hold the pumpkin IMHE. The material you recommended would probably work but it takes a little time to set up. The gasket is good to go as soon as the lube is put in. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Robert -- I stay away from that NAPA store since it was sold. The new manager accuses one of sexual descrimination (the new manager is a woman) even if one has the part in hand and the new part in no way matches the old! That sure isn't for me. So, now I go to Pep Boys or Kragen. It is a real shame, that store used to be a great resource. I'd love to go to a Ford store, but I work long days. I guess I'll just jack the car up, remove a nut and measure.

Thanks for the responses all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts