Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a door hinge repair kit for my 65 fastback. When I rebuild my hinges, should ALL parts on each hinge be painted the color of the car? I show my car in the concours class and want it to be correct. In my kit, the springs are red, the pins are a grayish color and the flat notched pieces appear to be zinc plated or something.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the whole thing isnt black? on my 66 the entire hinge is painted black. . . does this mean someone changed them or painted them or something?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hinges are painted with the doors on, so the entire assembly will be the body color. Hope this helps.

Cecil Bozarth

1966 GT Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise with black pony interior)

1994 GT Convertible

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always been under the impression that hinges were painted the same color as the car just because they got painted when the door jambs got painted but I don't know this for a fact. My car is Wimbledon White so black hinges would look funny.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So does anyone sell a small aerosol can of factory exterior colors? I don't plan to buy and entire quart of automotive paint just for a little ole door hinge.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im in the process of replacing my doors so i have the doors and hinges off. . .i just went to check to see, guess what!, theyre the body color. My car is nightmist blue (dark navy blue) and the hinges are covered in dirt etc so i guess, along with the fact that my new hinges are painted black, i assumed they were always black. I guess to answer your first question, on mine the springs and the hardware are all the body color too. . . You learn something new everyday!

hope this helps

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
As you've already been told.... hinge, spring, bolts and pin = body color

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1609818&a=12284202&p=44925357&Sequence=7&res=high.jpg

·
Registered
529 Posts
California Mustang sells spray cans of all the exterior lacquer colors.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447

1 - 9 of 9 Posts