Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to purchase the gasket that goes between the carb and the intake manifold. On cjpony they list one that is thicker (see pictures) but they also sell an entire carb kit I would like to purchase - do I need both or does the kit have the base gasket (comments for kit mentioned it was a thinner gasket).
As always appreciate the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,842 Posts
The gasket that comes with the kit should do the job. Thicker gaskets are one way to protect from heat soak, if you have a problem.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Also check out National Parts Depot and Summit Racing for these parts.

Reactions: byteme

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They also have this gasket which has cutout for each barrel. When I pulled my carb to install the electric choke, it had a normal square gasket like in the kit. Didnt take pictures (pulled image from offline) but bottom of carb looks like it should have the cutout gasket as there are few "channels" that intersect in between the barrels on the base of the carb - look like a gasket should cover these, but the manifold only had one support down the middle.
Is one preffered over the other or is one right or wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
I’ve got a 4160. The square or round bore depends on your intake manifold type. If you have an old school one with the 4 round bores then you’d use the round type. I purchased 2 gaskets (I’ve installed a 1/2” phenolic spacer and you put one gasket on each side) and each gasket had a round bore with cutoff marks to scissor it into a square bored....which I do have.

I used this brand. Working just fine. Again, have to cut off the round bores if you don’t have them on manifold side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts