Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding the brakes on my 65. How do tell which spring in the new kit is the primary and which is the secondary spring? One is yellow the other is green. Does anyone know for sure? I've done a search but wasn't able to come up with anything.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I have photos which show a brand new drum brake installation, including hardware, on a 65. Send me a private message with your email and I will try to send you the photos from work. I have no clue what you mean by primary and secondary springs. Also, there is a difference between the springs used on the front drums and on the rear drums. The primary brake shoe and the secondary brake shoe take the same springs. Each shoe is retained to the backing plate by the same color of spring. Each shoe is connected against the wheel cylinder by the same color of spring. The only difference is the spring used at the bottom of the brake shoes and the spring at the top. The spring at the top is called a return spring. It operates to retract the brake shoes when the pressure is relieved from the wheel cylinders. The spring at the bottom of the shoes helps hold position, but more importantly, positions the "stop" clip against the star on the brake adjuster.

Perhaps you could rephrase your question without referring to primary and secondary and instead describe the location the spring is to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.