Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost done bringing my motor to original factory spec. The motor is a 1969 390 with autolite 4300 carb. Heads, manifold are correct. I can only hope the pistons and the crank are stock based on my mechanis input when he had the heads removed during a cylinder head transplant. While PO was indulging his 18 year old son's apetite to destroy a beutiful Mach 1. I look at various sources for the cam specs to determine where I can buy the correct one. Can one of you veterans help me out with this as I want the car to be dead nuts smooth on idle. I appreciate any help in advance.

Bryant

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I am not a veteran or know much about FE but I have sometimes thought about cams so treat my comment with caution.

Although I don't understand why anyone would want have one of the best looking muscle cars idling like a granny's station wagon, I am sure you can get it idle like that. If you want a dead nuts smooth idle, buy a RV/torque/truck cam. Don't know if there are any available for FE, but you could have one custom made. Just make sure you don't have too little lobe separation or too much duration. Maybe something like 114 degrees lobe separation and about 200 duration at 0.05 lift. Although, maybe FE gurus might comment on if FE would ping with that kind of cam. See also Crane for stock type cams.
http://www.shopcranecams.com/forv8fes1919.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts